DNS Servers

Started by Tacitus, Feb 03, 2012, 07:26:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Tacitus

I use an outgoing firewall and every so often it reports that (say) Safari wishes to connect to an IP address rather than the usual domain name.  This would appear to be a problem with domain name resolution which points to iDNet's DNS servers having an occcasional hissy fit. 

Has anyone else experienced this and/or could they suggest alternatives for DNS?

As an aside one of the more interesting side effects was that one of the IP addresses it referred to on an otherwise innocuous site, was associated with the US DoD, which makes you wonder to what extent you're being monitored.

Steve

It's not something I've seen , recently I've been using IDNet DNS as OpenDNS appeared to be not quite as quick. There's a few alternatives Norton and Google spring to mind.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Tacitus

Quote from: Steve on Feb 03, 2012, 07:57:01
It's not something I've seen , recently I've been using IDNet DNS as OpenDNS appeared to be not quite as quick. There's a few alternatives Norton and Google spring to mind.

Thanks Steve - do you have any IP addresses?

Steve

Sorry on mobile at present but I can remember Google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 OpenDNS and Norton are available via search engine. OpenDNS also provide IPv6 AAAA response for those few seeking an alternative.
Steve
------------

Tacitus

Quote from: Steve on Feb 03, 2012, 09:27:06
Sorry on mobile at present but I can remember Google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 OpenDNS and Norton are available via search engine. OpenDNS also provide IPv6 AAAA response for those few seeking an alternative.

OK thanks  :)

Technical Ben

Do you know the IP? Could it be something simple like a search for a time server? Or am I confused over the question?
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Tacitus

Quote from: Technical Ben on Feb 03, 2012, 10:26:47
Do you know the IP? Could it be something simple like a search for a time server? Or am I confused over the question?

I thought that and it was for one of them, but it seems to be fairly random.  Some days it all works as normal, on another it will throw up IP addresses rather than domain names which is the usual default.  I thought it worth trying another DNS to try and see what effect that had.

The whole thing is more of an irritation than a problem, but I do prefer to know what exactly is being blocked.

Tacitus

Slight problem.  I've tried putting Open DNS into the 2700 and it's reporting "invalid PPP username" presumably as a result of the hack to get it to work with iDNet.  No problem when I use "obtain DNS automatically" which must resort to iDNet DNS.

Anyone else been able to get it working?  No problem altering the Mac to OpenDNS

Lance

I would just amend the PC/Mac and leave the router to it. If specified on Windows it will use that rather than what the router has picked up. On my server, I have IDnet, Google and OpenDNS (in that order!) all specified so if one does fail it moves on to the next.
Lance
_____

Steve

I save them on the Mac as different locations , it's very easy then to flick through the various choices.
Steve
------------

Tacitus

Quote from: Steve on Feb 03, 2012, 12:19:23
I save them on the Mac as different locations , it's very easy then to flick through the various choices.

Good idea Steve, I'll give that a go.