Technicolor TG582n router and IPv6

Started by Terryphi, Feb 07, 2012, 11:55:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Terryphi

I recently bought a Technicolor TG582n "IPv6 ready" router from Amazon but unfortunately it cannot be made to work on IPv6 with IDNet. This is my experience:

1. Technicolor only supply the necessary IPv6 firmware to ISPs not users.

2. ISPs only provide it if they have supplied the router to the customer. As far as I know AAISP is the only UK ISP which currently supplies the TG582n to its customers.

3. The main problem seems to be that the router server address has to be baked into the firmware. It is not a configurable option. In addition for it to do anything the ISP's server would need to hold a config for the router which by default it would not have because they did not sell it and, therefore, do not know the device's serial number or make/model.

4. However, it seems to me that a helpful ISP could set all this up with details provided by the customer. IDNet are not prepared to do so and enquiries are dismissed with a swift brush-off.

So, be warned: if you buy this router from Amazon you will not currently (or ever?) be able to obtain the IPv6 firmware from IDNet.

Simon

There could be all sorts of reasons why IDNet won't do it.  Licensing issues?  Unviable configurations for a 'one off'? 

That said, Amazon should be making it clear that the router is only for use with one ISP, and possibly shouldn't be selling it anyway.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

Quote from: Terryphi on Feb 07, 2012, 11:55:25
3. The main problem seems to be that the router server address has to be baked into the firmware. It is not a configurable option. In addition for it to do anything the ISP's server would need to hold a config for the router which by default it would not have because they did not sell it and, therefore, do not know the device's serial number or make/model.

I don't doubt it could be done, but IDNet would have to set up a new system to cope with a non-standard router. It would be expensive, particularly if only one customer needs the service. It would also be expensive if other brands of router came along wanting other custom configurations.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

FritzBox

Presume you sent it back as not fit for purpose?

pctech

Zen sell it also and have told me they will not load config files on the TR-069 servers for routers they have not supplied, I sent one back to Amazon as you cannot even upgrade the firmware manually.