FTTC

Started by Baz, Feb 11, 2012, 16:35:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Baz

do many people here have this yet with IDNet and if so hows it going.

what is needed if you change to this, any new equipment to buy
what is the installation fee for
does it depend on the cables etc already in your house
is it possible to switch back if this doesnt work for you
is there a training period so to speak

any other info you can tell us  :)

psp83

Quote from: Baz on Feb 11, 2012, 16:35:20
do many people here have this yet with IDNet and if so hows it going.

what is needed if you change to this, any new equipment to buy
what is the installation fee for
does it depend on the cables etc already in your house
is it possible to switch back if this doesnt work for you
is there a traing period so to speak

any other info you can tell us  :)

I have it, but its not working at the mo due to a cockup by BT.

But it was good before the cockup as you can see by the speed test in my sig.

You will need a router that has an EWAN port on it or buy a router that has a VDSL modem in it.

I was charged £96 for installation. (modem, engineer etc), OR will also put a new face plate on your existing BT box.

I can't see why you would want to switch back as you will get a better service with FTTC as it will be a shorter line, to the cab instead to the exchange.

Yes, they say give it 10 days.

Some advice, have patience. it took OR nearly a month to get mine installed due to them messing up the order.

.Griff.

Quotewhat is needed if you change to this, any new equipment to buy

You will need a PPPoE capable router (most commonly called a "cable router") or you can connect the VDSL2 modem directly to a PC if you so wish. A router offers many more benefits however.

Quotewhat is the installation fee for

The installation fee covers an Openreach visit. The engineer will bring the VDSL2 modem with him/her and fit a filtered faceplate to the master (NTE5) socket. You will need two free power sockets near to the master socket to power the modem and router.

Quotedoes it depend on the cables etc already in your house

Nope.

Quoteis it possible to switch back if this doesnt work for you

The short answer is no. There is a 12 month minimum contract with FTTC from Idnet.

Quoteis there a traing period so to speak

Yes and no. There is a 10 day training period when the service is first installed however the DLM will continuously monitor and adjust the connection, if necessary, over the whole duration of the service.

Quoteany other info you can tell us

If FTTC is available to you and you're happy with the price then go for it.

There's lots more information and guides in the dedicated FTTx section here - http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php/board,39.0.html

Baz

so do you have to use the supplied modem from BT or can you get your own router.

is the face plate different to the ADSL one I have fitted now

just looking ahead as my exchange is not ready until june but may be worth thinking about.I think the only thing I would lose out on would be the allowances that come with the package.For a similar price to what I am paying now I would drop down by 120GB :swoon:  if i've seen that right.

Simon

You'll find lots of information in the link Griff provided above, Baz.  Might be worth some reading up.  :)
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

.Griff.

Whether you have to use the Openreach VDSL2 modem is a grey area. Technically it's defined as an "active NTE" and it therefore the demarcation point for the FTTC service. However you can replace it with VDSL2 enabled routers in you really wanted to albeit they are very thin on the ground, somewhat expensive, and  I can only think of three such routers on sale in this country at the moment.

As for the faceplate it will do the same job as the one you currently have fitted but OR will insist on replacing it anyway.

Baz

Thanks so far guys  :thumb:

Quote from: Simon on Feb 11, 2012, 17:24:53
You'll find lots of information in the link Griff provided above, Baz.  Might be worth some reading up.  :)

yeah I will do just easier when some one tells you too I find.

lozcart

How do you monitor your line stats on FTTC, are you able to access the details by logging into the BT supplied modem?

Glenn

The is no direct access to the stats, but there is a way to do it (I haven't tried this myself just yet) http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,28211.0.html and you do so at your own risk, etc.
Glenn
--------------------

Steve

Thats reminds me I bought a spare modem for £7.50, it's not arrived yet.
Steve
------------