Google admits privacy policy email glitch

Started by Simon, Jan 30, 2012, 22:03:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

Google has blamed a glitch in its systems after it sent emails about privacy policy changes to consumers who were not actually signed up to the company's services.

The emails detailed changes to Google's privacy policy, but were sent to other companies' customers in error, the company said.

The problem first came to light when customers complained on Virgin Media forums that they had been sent emails informing them of changes to Google privacy policies even though they did not have a Gmail account, but the problem also affected Sky customers.

Although Virgin uses Gmail to deliver its email service, users complained that Google shouldn't even have had their address, and that it was not their primary email provider so shouldn't be setting privacy policies.

Google has admitted the mistake was due to a systems glitch, but the error - a privacy problem in its own right - has angered some users.

"Let's get one thing clear - I am not a Google user," posted one user, dubbed Slated, on the Virgin forums. "So why am I getting this? Why does Google even have access to my account?"

Read more: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/372484/google-admits-privacy-policy-email-glitch
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Lance

At least they've admitted it! Not good though. The systems should be totally separate from one another.
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

peasblossom

So you could say they're guilty of spamming too.