BT Speedtester incompatible with Java 7

Started by pctech, Feb 12, 2012, 19:21:46

Previous topic - Next topic

pctech

If you are having trouble running a BT speedtest and are getting the 'please try later' message and are running Java 7 in Firefox (and possibly IE), unintalling it and installing 6 update 30 from the main Java site seems to fix the issue.

That's my experience on XP Pro and Firefox 10 anyway.

Posting here as a lot of folks are posting speedtests here.

Gary

I don't even have Java installed. I wont install it just for a BT speedtest either, JRE is just another vector for attacks.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

pctech

Was just a heads up Gary.

it is quite useful actually and necessary if you have line problems.

I've just had a bump up in speed so was just checking what my IP profile was on the BRAS.

Steve

Just wondering how else you get your IP profile without making a phone call. It's a question of balancing the risks I guess.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

.Griff.

Having java installed can only be considered a "vector for attacks" in the same way having windows in your house makes it more prone to being burgled.

pctech

Was just a heads up folks, I wasn't intending to start a debate.

Steve

No I think it's a valid point being connected to the Internet is a risk, it's a matter of perspective and I think for me I'd like to think the risk to me from using java is pretty neglible.
Steve
------------

.Griff.

Quote from: Steve on Feb 13, 2012, 16:21:48
No I think it's a valid point being connected to the Internet is a risk, it's a matter of perspective and I think for me I'd like to think the risk to me from using java is pretty neglible.

Exactly my point Steve.

I'd rather run sensible precautions and make full use of my PC than build a Faraday cage around it and stare at a blank screen.

Simon

I've been using Java for years, without any problems to my knowledge.
Simon.
--