Lower than expected sync speed on ADSL2+

Started by univega, Feb 17, 2012, 19:21:19

Previous topic - Next topic

univega

Just got upgraded to Adsl2+ today and the estimated sync speed for my line from BT was 18mb and according to Kitz I should get 22mb.

Problem is I'm only getting 13mb at the moment although this is just the first day.

Does anyone know what sync speed I should realistically expect and if there is a 10 day training period?

My router stats are:

ADSL Link             Downstream       Upstream
Connection Speed     13861 Kbps   888 Kbps
Line Attenuation     12.5 dB         2.1 dB
Noise Margin     12.2 dB           14.7 dB

Thanks,

Martin.

Glenn

:welc5: :karma: Martin,

One of the other guys will be along shortly to give you an estimate of your line speed
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Lance

Hi Martin,

:congrats: on your first post! :karma:

You will currently be in the 10 day training period during which your line will explore its limits. Looking at you noise margins, you can probably expect around 15mb down and easily over 1mb up.

Something to remember is that the line speed estimaters work off some basic parameters and can't take into account individual circumstances.

I would also recommend, if you don't already, leaving your router on 24/7 as that will help acheive stability at a higher sync.
Lance
_____

univega

Thanks for the quick replies, I'll leave the router alone for the moment and see what happens and I'll post the final result in 10 days(ish) time.

When I do a speed test it always maxes out at the same spot with no fluctuations so it looks like it's being held back by the profile  :fingers:

Martin

Lance

You can check the profile by doing a BT speedtest although with it being day 1 it will almost certainly be quite low at the moment.
Lance
_____

.Griff.

12dB Att. is good for 22/23Mbps but your SNR is high which is the reason you're only synced at 14Mbps.

Are you on 21CN or LLU?

univega

I'm on 21CN.

Is it possible to improve the SNR? For instance, would another router give better results?

Martin.

.Griff.

It could just be down to the training period so I'd wait until the 10 days have elapsed before worrying too much. If the SNR is still high after that then there's several things you can try.

Simon

:welc: :karma:  Martin.  I can't add to the above.  :)
Simon.
--

univega

Line resynced today for 1st time and upstream has improved but downstream has dropped a touch.

Stats are:

ADSL Link               Downstream       Upstream
Connection Speed       13336 Kbps           1191 Kbps
Line Attenuation       12.4 dB                   2.1 dB
Noise Margin       12.4 dB                   5.6 dB

Downloads are consistantly fast anytime of day.

Strange thing though, wife was on the treadmill and downstream noise margin went down to 7.2db and went back to 12.5db when she was finished.

I'll have to dig out a spare mains filter out the loft and try that on the treadmill or router power supply to see if it helps.

Don't know if the treadmill motor is generating too much interference or if the router power supply is on its way out and is too sensitive to mains noise.

Steve

Tell the wife to walk slower? >:D  I suppose it's entirely possible if the motor's noisy, btw have you checked to see if the ring/bell wire has been disconnected and also any extensions are of the twisted pair variety . You could try using the test socket behind the master faceplate whilst she's walking to see if a similar loss of noise margin occurs again.
Steve
------------

univega

Ring wire is disconnected, all phone wiring/points in house are about 10 years old and in good condition and there's good quality adsl filters on all kit plugged in to the phone points. I've got spare filters if needed though.

I'm not sure how much of the wiring is twisted pair though, I'll have to check.

Historically I've always got top sync speeds so was expecting at least 18mb on my line, I suspect I've got a failing router as the dhcp server has been a bit iffy lately.

BTW, don't think I'll tell her to slow down, I'd need the faster broadband for 6 weeks in a wheelchair with broken legs  ;)

Steve

It's probably worth swapping if you can as your noise margin is elevated at 12 unless that's solely down to your wife trying to walk uphill. :)
Steve
------------

Rik

It may sound odd, but we do have a history of treadmill interference, so well worth trying to tackle at source. That would then get your target margin down, in time, and your speed up.
Rik
--------------------