21cnwbc

Started by talos, Feb 17, 2012, 13:51:53

Previous topic - Next topic

talos

What does 21CN WBC  on my exchange status mean and what difference will it make to me ?  :dunno: anybody ?

Lance

It means that rather than only having the option of up to 8mb (ADSL MAX) you will also have the option of up to 24mb (ADSL2+). In time, everybody is being moved over to BT's 21cn network.

If you choose to move, then you chance having higher speeds and will also receive higher download allowences each month. If it doesn't work out for your line (due to length normally) then support can make your line appear as a up to 8mb line, but you still retain the higher download allowences.
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

sparky

Quotesupport can make your line appear as a up to 8mb line, but you still retain the higher download allowences.

This is what happened to my line, without me requesting a thing.

I think that everyone will get switched over to 21CN eventually, by request or not.

Technical Ben

Quote from: sparky on Feb 17, 2012, 14:17:11
This is what happened to my line, without me requesting a thing.

I think that everyone will get switched over to 21CN eventually, by request or not.

It's an actual piece of equipment they upgrade in the exchange normally. So it's not really down to requesting it. So we will get upgraded. It's like the car garage turning up with a replacement that is a newer model. No reason to complain. :)
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

pctech

That's coirrect Sparky.

21CN is an equipment replacement program, BT is moving away from an ATM (Asynchronus Transfer Mode) backbone to an IP based one.

Lance

Quote from: Technical Ben on Feb 17, 2012, 14:45:44
It's an actual piece of equipment they upgrade in the exchange normally. So it's not really down to requesting it. So we will get upgraded. It's like the car garage turning up with a replacement that is a newer model. No reason to complain. :)

It was a case that people would remain on the old DSLAM until they requested the move to the MSAN. However, more recently we have witnessed the changes happening without a request needing to be made but I'm not sure if this is down to BT or IDNet.
Lance
_____

talos

Thanks for the info :thnks:,  it appears to be an upgrade to the exchange for everybody, no request needed or asked for :) . Will I need to apply to Idnet for the extra allowance or will they do it automatically I wonder.

Glenn

Once your line is moved, the extra allowance should be put in place.
Glenn
--------------------

talos

Quote from: Glenn on Feb 18, 2012, 07:50:14
Once your line is moved, the extra allowance should be put in place.

Thanks, something to look forward to :)

Lance

Although I'm not sure the speed will be. If you post your line stats from your router we will be able to advise whether or not it's worth asking.
Lance
_____

pctech

Quote from: Lance on Feb 17, 2012, 15:08:04
It was a case that people would remain on the old DSLAM until they requested the move to the MSAN. However, more recently we have witnessed the changes happening without a request needing to be made but I'm not sure if this is down to BT or IDNet.

I don't think IDNet have any say in the move to the new equipment, they are simply informed that customers on a certain exchange will lose service for a few hours overnight (when mine was done my connection went down at 10 p.m. but was back the next morning) however you will remain on ADSL until you request a move to ADSL 2+

talos

My stats   
               The actual D/l speed is 1952-2164 KBPS  but relatively stable.

Gary

Quote from: Lance on Feb 17, 2012, 15:08:04
I had to ask to be upgraded to ADSL2+ even though my exchange had been updated, I was still on the old ADSL MAX Package, I was not moved to a new allowance even though the equipment had changed from what I remember.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

pctech

I presume BT leave as is as they are only supposed to change circuit configuration when instructed to by the customer, the ISP.

sparky

An incidental question:-

Is it possible that after being switched over to 21CN (albeit an ADSL Max profile) that my downstream noisemargin has been locked at 15db? I have had one re-synch in 1100hrs uptime, so I thought that the BT system would have allowed my noisemargin to drop by now?

There still seems to be a lot of work going on in my area, with cabinets being swapped out for FTTC ones, so I guess that doesn't help things.

pctech

As far as I was aware this shouldn't be fixed, have you not noticed any movement over a 24 hour period?

Steve

Certainly on adsl2+ it's possible to lock the sync.
Steve
------------

sparky

My line is apparently now on a 21CN connection, but with an ADSLMax profile, I get the additional allowance, but since this happened, by downstream noise margin has always been showing as 13 - 15db (Netgear DG834G V2).

About the time the work was going on my line was up and down like a yo yo, but has since settled down. But no change in the Downstream Noise Margin, even after 15 days or more without a blip. There was a re-synch yesterday, but otherwise it has be solid for the whole of this 1055hr period.

System Up Time 1055:45:10
Port Status     TxPkts     RxPkts     Collisions     Tx B/s   Rx B/s   Up Time
WAN PPPoA     26466      35619         0             74       334     21:46:10
LAN 10M/100M 5618576 4597802        0            379      334    1055:45:05
WLAN 11M/54M 1317169 479668         0           241       16     1055:44:55

ADSL Link                Downstream                  Upstream
Connection Speed           3232 kbps               448 kbps
Line Attenuation             48 db                      15.5 db
Noise Margin                  15 db                       18 db

Rik

Check with support, they may be able to see what's going on.
Rik
--------------------