BT's DLM on ADSL2/2+

Started by Tacitus, May 25, 2012, 08:28:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Tacitus

Can someone give me a brief rundown on how DLM works on Max compared to vanilla ADSL?  I believe the Max version is more responsive and doesn't produce the same large drops in speed compared to earlier versions.  I'd be particularly interested to know if the banding is the same.

The village is supposed to be going on to ADSL max during the next 12 months.  Since I have an attenuation of some 57dB I can't see this producing anything but trouble since BT are unlikely to replace the ancient cables running to my end of the village.  Still I suppose it's progress.

Rik

Do you mean Max/Vanilla or ADSL2/Max, Tac?
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on May 25, 2012, 09:04:49
Do you mean Max/Vanilla or ADSL2/Max, Tac?

ADSL2/Max since I'm assuming that's what they'll be moving to.

Steve

ADSL2+ is a satisfactory solution for short lines ie downstream attentuation of less than 40 dB. Longer lines are more likely to suffer from noise/ interference which causes more problems with adsl2+ than adslmax due to the higher tones used. If your exchange is moved to adsl2+ (21CN) you will without any input from yourself eventually be moved to the new equipment. However if this happens you will profiled as an adslmax connection on adsl2+, so in theory you should see no change.

Some long lines are noise interference free and have seen benefits from adsl2+ with modest increases in downstream sync but I would suggest that this is not the norm.
Steve
------------

Tacitus

Quote from: Steve on May 25, 2012, 10:36:16
However if this happens you will profiled as an adslmax connection on adsl2+, so in theory you should see no change.

That's what I thought might hapen.

Quote from: Steve on May 25, 2012, 10:36:16
Some long lines are noise interference free and have seen benefits from adsl2+ with modest increases in downstream sync but I would suggest that this is not the norm.

I guess mine's not one of them since I always sync at 12dB.  OR have done some recent work in the village although I've not seen any signs of cable renewal.  They've probably been remaking joints, clearing out ducts and manholes and that sort of thing.  Whatever, the result is that I now have a more stable line, although syncing lower than it did when ADSL first came out.  Some of that is probably due to x-talk and nothing I can do about that.   :)

If I'm an profiled to an adslmax connection on adsl2+ does that mean I will still have the adsl speed bands, or do I still get whatever applies to adsl2+?  Are the adsl2(+) ones better or more forgiving of isolated noise events?

Rik

You don't get thebADSL2 bands but you do get the data allowance. :)
Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on May 25, 2012, 12:20:39
You don't get thebADSL2 bands but you do get the data allowance. :)

Great that you get the data allowance although I'm generally just about within mine.  Mind you that's nearly double what I used to use......

Shame about the profiling, although I guess support would be happy to adjust it to find what works best.

Rik

Rik
--------------------