Raspberry Pi

Started by Glenn, Feb 29, 2012, 08:41:23

Previous topic - Next topic

pctech

Rik will still be here, he'll be a rogue segment of code in the Google cloud, a ghost in the machine

Rik

No, my super-hero powers are needed elsewhere... ;D
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

kinmel

RS Components have taken my money for the Pi, so the long promised delivery date will be about right.
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Steve

I wonder if it will run Windows 8 eventually. (ARM version obviously)
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

pctech

For that to happen Microsoft would either have to open source Windows RT (never gonna happen) or make an image available for purchase and download (or maybe supplied on DVD but that method of distribution will fall out of favour with MS I reckon shortly)

kinmel

Quote from: Steve on May 18, 2012, 16:47:35
I wonder if it will run Windows 8 eventually. (ARM version obviously)

Someone has win7 running on a Pi inside a Citrix XenDesktop.       R.P.F.'s Liz Upton reckons companies could run a bunch of instances of Windows on a server, push the displays out to many Raspberry Pis, and you've got a cheap way of getting Windows onto desks at work, without having to fork out for a full-cost PC.

I still reckon the Pi is a game changer.

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/blogs/from-both-sides-10005031/raspberry-pi-could-bring-cheap-windows-to-companies-10026180/
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Technical Ben

It's also a contender for a DIY or Opensource "Virtual Desktop" system as you said. We have seen the launch of Onlive, which is a video game streaming service that uses a "dumb terminal" for the video receiver. The same could be done with the Pi. At the cheap costs, Onlive were giving out their hardware for free.

I wonder if even Google would want to add their Chrome browser/OS to it?
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

pctech

Onlive also offer a virtual desktop service as do the likes of Nasstar

john

Looks like the Raspberry PI might have some competition

kinmel

My Raspberry Pi arrived from Farnells today.

It is the exact size of a credit card as promised and setting it up took just a few minutes.
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

pctech

So have you done any browsing on it?

kinmel

Quote from: pctech on May 25, 2012, 14:51:17
So have you done any browsing on it?

My post was from the Raspberry Pi. The Debian O.S. has been configured for this machine and comes with a browser, media player and office suite installed.

There is a full 1080P HDMI output, which looks rather good on the big LED TV

I have found it runs better without custard.

Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

pctech

Nice.

Might get my media centre PC after all.

;D