Raspberry Pi

Started by Glenn, Feb 29, 2012, 08:41:23

Previous topic - Next topic

kinmel

Quote from: Steve on Mar 02, 2012, 13:17:29
Certainly the OS is one I'm vaguely familiar with i.e. Fedora.

As you would expect, software is already being tweaked for the Pi           http://elinux.org/RPi_Distributions
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Steve

The EFIKA MX Smarttop even has a case and WiFi but costs a little more.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

zappaDPJ

It should certainly wipe away the competition ;D
zap
--------------------

john

kinmel

Quote from: john on Mar 09, 2012, 15:23:43
That looks like the bog standard version to me  ;D

It seems there's going to be a delay in supplying the Raspberry Pi

So that is why I have now had my delivery date pushed back until 24th May  :bawl:
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

john

I expected that there would be delays due to the demand and also that there may be some minor issues with the software but I'm surprised that there is a mistake with the correct type of connector even though they appear similar.

Technical Ben

It's down to the manufacturers apparently. I've always heard rumours that some outsourced manufactures like to cut corners and home no one notices. Turns out it might be true.

Just imagine the conversation. The manufacturer says "They've asked for those expensive sockets. Can we not just use the cheap ones we use for laptops instead?"
Then the designer gets on the phone "you do realise the expensive ones have the parts WE NEED in them? This thing is NOT a laptop."  :slap:
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

john

If they're outsourcing production then I can't see that it's in the manufacturers interest to deliberately use the wrong specification of connector because even if it did work Raspberry Pi could insist that they re-work them to replace them with the correct ones which would probably cost them a lot more than they could hope to gain and hardly worth the risk. I would not expect there'd be a great difference in the cost of the sockets anyway and they'd have to make a lot of Raspberry Pi's to make it worth their while but this would also increase the cost of having to re-work them if found out.

Lance

Lance
_____

kinmel

Farnell have now given me a confirmed delivery date of 21st May  :clap1:
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

Simon

Simon.
--

Rik

Ah, but which year, Alan? ;)
Rik
--------------------

john

I registered interest in it a couple of weeks ago but have only received a confirmation reply. I expect it will be a few months yet before they have satisfied their existing demand.

kinmel

People are already thinking outside the box for the Pi.

My main interest is radio controlled models and the Pi's 10pin GPOI, small size and low power consumption offers an extremely cheap way of managing extra functions.

Although it is intended for children, I have no doubt it will prove to be widely used by all sorts of hobbyists, it is a game changer and  will sell in the millions once amateur designed addons hit the market.
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

pctech

I can't wait to get my hands on one of these! *grins like an eight year old on Christmas day

Going to see how well it might perform as a small low traffic web server.

john

Quote from: kinmel on Apr 27, 2012, 20:15:50
People are already thinking outside the box for the Pi.

I think you're right, there'll be lots of different apps and hardware add-ons marketed as being suitable and it may become quite ubiquitous if it remains cheap enough. I just hope they don't increase the price significantly like they did with the BBC micro when they realised that they could due to the demand.

Technical Ben

Quote from: pctech on Apr 27, 2012, 20:45:58
I can't wait to get my hands on one of these! *grins like an eight year old on Christmas day

Going to see how well it might perform as a small low traffic web server.

Someone got Quake 3 running on it. So it's not too shabby for £20!!!  :o
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

pctech

It still amazes me how, over the 22 years or so I've been really interested in computers, the power of CPUs has increased so much.

Rik

It would be nice to be able to visit in a 100 years, just to see what happened next. :)
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Rik

I used something similar when I first started work. :)
Rik
--------------------

pctech

It'll be interesting to see what they do with graphene.

Simon

Quote from: Rik on Apr 28, 2012, 09:41:04
It would be nice to be able to visit in a 100 years, just to see what happened next. :)

You mean, you won't be here?  Pessimist!  ;)
Simon.
--