Should I bother reporting?

Started by pctech, Mar 04, 2012, 20:17:29

Previous topic - Next topic

pctech

My router has registered a few DOS packets over the past few days, while we know the ones from Chinese addresses aren't worth bothering about these appear at least to be coming from IP addresses of dedicated hosting firms a little closer to home, on in France and one in the UK according to RIPE, I appreciate it's unlikely to be coming from them but being a community minded soul my thoughts are this might reflect badly on them or their customer.

Normal practice for my ISP at least is for the customer to file an abuse report directly with the IP address owner as technically I'm just a downstream network (I have a /29 allocation so all my devices such as the Xbox, phone and PC have their own IP)

So should I bother filing an abuse report?

Niall

I always emailed the ISP responsible for the IP address. Generally they email you back to let you now they've contacted the person that has been allocated that address, if it's static. Other times they don't reply, which is when I used to contact my ISP.
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy