Those pesky gambling junk mailings

Started by Broadback, Mar 04, 2012, 15:28:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Broadback

As I suspect are lots of others I am receiving a fair number of "offers" from gaming sites into my email. Now I use Mozilla Thunderbird, I have 14 seperate email addresses. I mark each and every one as Junk without opening, but still they keep coming. I do not know if they are all from the same company, I doubt it, but also doubt that they are all from different companies. Is there any way of making "Junk" stick?
Nothing is perfect, not even my ignorance!

Gary

Quote from: Broadback on Mar 04, 2012, 15:28:55
As I suspect are lots of others I am receiving a fair number of "offers" from gaming sites into my email. Now I use Mozilla Thunderbird, I have 14 seperate email addresses. I mark each and every one as Junk without opening, but still they keep coming. I do not know if they are all from the same company, I doubt it, but also doubt that they are all from different companies. Is there any way of making "Junk" stick?
Can you not add a rule? For instance with idnet .com mail you can login to the idnet site and create rules to block spam if its getting though, the same can be done with many other providers too.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

cavillas

All my ones go straight to junk mail in Gmail, never get them at all.
------
Alf :)

zappaDPJ

Slightly off topic but my daughter received a letter from Portugal yesterday notifying her that she'd won a bazillion quid in the Portuguese lottery. The slightly perplexing thing is that it was addressed to her using her middle name and the only time she can ever recall using it in her entire life was when she signed up with UCAS in order to make her university choices. Hmmm!
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

pctech

Maybe they got it from the electoral register Zap?

zappaDPJ

She's not old enough to vote so it's not that. She's going to see if anyone else in her school year has received the same letter tomorrow.
zap
--------------------

zappaDPJ

Well none of her friends has received anything of that nature but this morning my daughter received an invoice from Parcel Force. They have a parcel for her sent from Switzerland. To deliver it they want £28.73 for Import VAT and Clearance Fees. It has to be another scam (it's addressed identically to the Portuguese lottery letter) but we can't for the life of us work out how this one works :dunno:
zap
--------------------

Simon

Simon.
--

zappaDPJ

That part of it appears to be genuine (as attached) which is why I can't work out what's going on. We've certainly not ordered anything from Switzerland and although I do know a few people who live there, none of them would know my daughter's name :dunno:
zap
--------------------

Simon

Can you ring the local Parcel Force depot and see if they have anything addressed to your daughter?
Simon.
--

zappaDPJ

I've tracked it on-line and they do. I just know for sure that it's totally unsolicited. I might ring them up to see if there's any declaration regarding the contents, I can't think what else to do.

PS: I've edited my previous post to removed a rather splendid predictive text error :laugh:
zap
--------------------

Simon

Damn, I missed it!  ;D

Would PF be able to give you any information about the sender, I wonder?  It's difficult to imagine what the 'scam' is, given they actually have a package, and you'll be paying them the excess fees.  Could it be that the sender genuinely didn't realise these would be applied?
Simon.
--

zappaDPJ

It is intriguing I must admit but then I have to remind myself the best scams sometimes are. I will try and make further enquires by phone.
zap
--------------------

Simon

The fees indicate a goods value of around £90-£100, at a guess.  Very odd!
Simon.
--

cavillas

Tell them no one of that name here and return to sender.
------
Alf :)

zappaDPJ

But what if it's £100 worth of Swiss chocolate? ;D
zap
--------------------

pctech

zappaDPJ

Nah, you can't go wrong with Swiss chocolate :laugh:

But yeah, I agree, it's dodgy. I just can't work out or find out what the scam is yet.
zap
--------------------

Simon

Simon.
--

zappaDPJ

No, I couldn't get anywhere on the phone.
zap
--------------------