BTW vs Telefonica automated line management

Started by pctech, Mar 10, 2012, 21:17:26

Previous topic - Next topic

pctech

Am now weighing up moving to an LLU provider as keep getting drops every few hours which is a bit annoying when gaming online as was halfway through a game of golf last night when it dropped out and disconnected me from Xbox Live.

I know Zen will do what they can but have a feeling they will tell me its down to BT's line management so my question is how have people got on that have switched between the two on IDNet?

Lance

Even a move to LLU will leave with the same line between the exchange and your house do you would be better off trying to sort out the underlying problem.
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

I agree line drop outs will still occur on LLU ok you may have more scope with margin adjustment but at the expense of speed . FTTC if available should shorten your line and possibly improve matters.
Steve
------------

pctech

Guess I'll have to see what Zen say.

It dropped out again this morning, I've now set the modem to G.DMT to see what effect that has (if any)

pctech

FTTP only round here, even thought the unthinkable and going with BT Retail but Zen and them want 36 quid plus line rental (WTF they need to retain a phone line for with a fbire circuit is beyond me)

pctech

I've taken the front panel off and connected directly to the master socket, noise margin has risen to 6.1

Steve

If you mean you've connected to the test socket behind the master faceplate and the margin has risen this implies some noise is being induced your side of the master socket
Steve
------------

pctech

Yes Steve.

can't think what though as its a short cable run, it is coiled at the moment so just going to straighten it

pctech

Now here's an interesting thing, the cable from the filter to the router was resting under a couple of power cables, I've moved it to rest on top and the noise margin has dropped to between 5.6 and 5.8

Steve

What else uses the master socket either wired or connected?
Steve
------------

pctech

Nothing, this line does not even have a phone connected.

Only reason I have a second line is because I was told by the alarm company not to put broadband on the same line as the alarm modem when it was installed back in 2004.

pctech

To give you a better idea here is a picture of the setup under my desk

Steve

There's a lot of cables near the modem cable is that shielded?
Steve
------------

pctech

thought I'd fixed it but no.

Spoke to technical support at Zen this morning, their logs show a definite issue since February and the connection is re-authenticating 10 times a day!

Go to do a router, cable and filter swap and connect a phone to the line although he said he didn't think I'd hear any noise as the loop loss hasn't changed.

Errior occurring every 94 seconds.

Looks like I'll need a visit from OR again.

pctech

Well I now have the 2700 plugged in and its beating the netgear for speed.

Just got to see how long it'll hold the line for.

pctech

Since connecting the 2700 there's only been one blip at 3 a.m. according to Zen.

Steve

Sounds like the 2700 hanging on to a fluctuating margin better than the Netgear.
Steve
------------

pctech

Yes, error rate quite high though and guy at Zen remarked on this yesterday.

Steve

Surely that's just an indication of a connection that for whatever reason is struggling along. I think the disconnects and the high error counts go together.
Steve
------------