broadband down?

Started by goingonholiday, Jun 17, 2007, 19:34:41

Previous topic - Next topic

goingonholiday

My broadband connection isn't working, is anyone else experiencing any problems?  Sadly no idnet suppport out of hours so stuck!  Can anyone suggest what to do now?

Stevescat

No problems here. I'm afraid I'm no expert, so my only suggestions would be power down your system including router/modem, check any connections and power everything on again. Try the simple things first, if you haven't already done so. If still not working, post again with more details of your method of connection, OS, etc. I'm sure someone far more knowledgeable will help.
Steve

Lance

Mine's all working as well.

Does your modem or router appear to be syncing ok?
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

cavillas

Does your telephone work ok. It could be a break in the line.  It could be work at the BT exchange on the DSLAM, there has been a lot of work ongoing for the past few months nationwide.

Follow the other recommendations and let us all know what is happening.
------
Alf :)

goingonholiday

Thanks for your suggestions, did the obvious things before posting.  Router says no internet connection, restarting it doesn't change anything.

Phoned the IDNet emergency fault log line, no call back yet.

Phoned BT - Q for ever ask log a problem no response!

No access to my router during office hours so hopefully IDNet can solve the problem without anybody being here!

To be honest the lack of out of hours support is making me think about changing ISP, the previous one was rubbish but they were  on the end of a phone at weekends and after 6pm!

Thanks anyway!

Lance

Support are there until 18:30 monday to thursday if that's any help!

If it is a problem on the line, they should in most cases be able to sort it without you being there.

Have you tried a different router or modem at all? Or double checked the wires haven't worked loose. It may also be worth trying a factory reset of the router (making a note of the settings first) and also possibly trying a different filter.

One thing i will say is that BT won't do anything without being instructed to by the Isp, so its a waste of time trying to phone them!
Lance
_____

Rik

Quote from: goingonholiday on Jun 17, 2007, 21:38:18
Thanks for your suggestions, did the obvious things before posting.  Router says no internet connection, restarting it doesn't change anything.

It's probably a bit late in the day to be suggesting this, but have you got an NTE5 master socket, the type where the bottom half of the faceplate can be detached?

If so, a reliable diagnostic tool is to remove that faceplate and plug your router into the test socket which is revealed. If the line then works, your problem is in your internal wiring or equipment connected to it. You can get support to have a BT engineer visit to resolve the problem, but it will cost you upwards of £160. If, otoh, the line is still dead, then BT need to investigate the line and exchange equipment.

Even if IDNet support were open at the weekend, they would not be able to move a problem of this sort forward with BT until Monday.

Edit: All of the above assumes you know your router is OK. I always have a spare router and/or modem around to eliminate that possibility.
Rik
--------------------

cavillas

Oh to be as rich as Rik.  ;D :out:
------
Alf :)

Rik

Not so much rich as always thinking "that might come in handy one day..." :)
Rik
--------------------

goingonholiday

Thanks for the suggestions.  It was a BT problem, I got hold of BT on the Sunday night but they refused to speak to me about broadband.  IDNet can't find a problem so just have to see if it happens again.  This is the 4th time in 6 months I've had down time, previous ISP were rubbish but not one minute of downtime in 3 years - could be coincidence but lack of out of hours support still bugs me.

Thanks again

DorsetBoy

As it was a BT problem all the out of hours support in the world would have made no difference to you.

BT don't do anything out of hours or at weekends, so ISP support would have been unable to do anything for you until BT were back on the monday.