80/20 FTTC to launch April 10th

Started by .Griff., Mar 12, 2012, 15:31:22

Previous topic - Next topic

mervl

Quote from: Bill on Apr 20, 2012, 20:25:59
I'm happy to do that.

Your lack of imagination is not something over which I have any influence.

I like a fast line, not having to go and make a coffee while I wait for the download to finish. If I could get it at a reasonable price I'd have a ten gigabit leased line...

You're not bothered, fair enough.

No issue with dreaming. I can do it with the best of 'em.
??? Back in the real world though, I don't find I have the time to make, let alone drink, a coffee whilst I "have to wait" for downloads on the 38Mbps throughput"cap"; and I think the biggest constraint on broadband throughput isn't the sync cap but issues within the BTOR network and I'm not sure how this headline speed increase makes things better?

Re: Speed of internet connection assumes components working at optimum speed and capacity. You'd still be doing exceptionally well to get an 80Mbps throughput though on a BT-based service, though?

gizmo71

Quote from: Bill on Apr 20, 2012, 21:57:54
Virgin have an interesting take on the matter
[...]
Anybody know what it means? :dunno:

"You won't really get these speeds". :evil:

I for one don't really care about getting more download speed, but I would love to double my upload speed as I regularly upload game mod installers to my Amazon S3 account and that can never go quickly enough, especially if I've got half a dozen of them to do at once.
SimRacing.org.uk Director General | Team Shark Online Racing - on the podium since 1993
Up the Mariners!

ukwiz

As the only time I get to use the pathetic off-peak time is between 8am and 9am, so a greater speed would be very helpful.

FritzBox

Quote from: Ardua on Apr 12, 2012, 14:50:43
What are BT playing at? By giving new FTTC customers 80/20 for the same price as 40/10 they may well be targeting the likes of Virgin, Sky, and TalkTalk but what about the viability of smaller ISPs in the longer term. You can see from this site and that of other ISPs that customers are hoping to see some form of narrowing of the gap to negate the need to jump ship. At what point, if at all, will OFCOM or The Competition Commission cry foul? I have got a feeling that I shouldn't hold my breath.

Are you just using the Fritz Ardua, or is it connected to the supplied modem?

Ardua

Quote from: FritzBox on Apr 22, 2012, 18:24:06
Are you just using the Fritz Ardua, or is it connected to the supplied modem?

Just the FB. I have 39976 down and 9992 up.

mervl

I'd just say though, given what I gather is a growing history of problems with the 80/20 upgrades for BT customers, that if (when?) IDNet introduce it for existing customers I'd like it to be an opt-in, so you have the ability to say "no thanks". I'd agree though that giving those on the cheaper package (of whom I'm not one) the up to 10 automatically (as I think BT have done) could be a nice gesture.

.Griff.

I resisted the 80/20 upgrade and seeing the problems some people are having I'd glad I had some self control.

Steve

So am I although I wouldn't benefit downstream by very much. Idnet I don't think have offered the 40/2 package on FTTC
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Bill

I've been on 80/20 since about February when I joined the trial, and have to say I've had zero problems* with it (apart from occasionally downloading an unwanted gigabyte or two if I clicked the wrong HD programme on iPlayer :().

It's quick ;D

The download speed has dropped very slightly since I started (from 67Mps to ~65Mbps), but the shape of the network traffic graphs suggest that that's mostly simple congestion. I'm very happy with it.

*  :fingers: :fingers: :fingers:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Ardua

Just seen this on the TBB Zen Forum:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/zen/4116769-more-zen-improvments.html#Post4116769

Quote  Just had an email from Zen, my 40/10 is being upgraded to 76/19 in the next 10 days....no additional charge (in fact it's allegedly reducing) Unquote

We live in interesting times!

Rik

I didn't know you were Chinese. ;)
Rik
--------------------

andrue

Quote from: Rik on Apr 24, 2012, 16:49:41
..and the Chinese didn't mean it as a good thing either  :whistle:

Ardua

Quote from: Rik on Apr 24, 2012, 16:49:41

Old Chinese proverb:

Settle for what you have whilst looking for something better.  :laugh:

lozcart

I've contacted support and they are changing my connection from 40/10 to 80/20 free of charge  :thumb:

This is why I like IDnet  ;)

Rik

Quote from: Ardua on Apr 25, 2012, 08:45:41
Old Chinese proverb:

Settle for what you have whilst looking for something better.  :laugh:

:laugh:
Rik
--------------------

Ardua

Moving to FTTC is I believe a 'no brainer'. I see the real advantage being that it cuts out a long piece of copper wire, with its associated joints, out of the connectivity equation. With FTTC, I have seen a big decrease in errors on my line. 80/20 is now on offer and I confess that I find the argument for upgrading less compelling. It is obvious from posts on other forums that some users are having problems and estimated speeds are not being realised. Apart from increased bragging rights, I would be interested to know what the real advantages of an 80/20 connection are? For example, I note that download speeds are often limited by the host site; pings can be higher and 10 minutes watching a HD IPlayer programme that you decide you do not like can result in a 2Gb download - fine if the package is unlimited but not perhaps with IDNet. I must be missing something ???

Bill

I've still got an old Hayes 2400baud modem upstairs, free to a good home.

Interested?
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Steve

I've taken the plunge to upgrade, I see according to the website IDNet are no longer offering the 40/10 product under 'new orders' but is still advertised on the home page.
Steve
------------

gizmo71

Quote from: lozcart on Apr 25, 2012, 10:19:02
I've contacted support and they are changing my connection from 40/10 to 80/20 free of charge  :thumb:

So are we all getting it or do we have to ask?
SimRacing.org.uk Director General | Team Shark Online Racing - on the podium since 1993
Up the Mariners!

Steve

Steve
------------

lozcart

Quote from: Steve on Apr 26, 2012, 21:21:57
I had to ask via email.

I did the same, asked if there was an upgrade charge, which there wasn't and then ordered the upgrade.

Mine was upgraded midnight last night, everything seems fine today and getting good speeds on the speed testers I can get to work.

Steve

I'm not expecting a significant increase, but we'll see.

Just in case I forget what 40/10 was like for me.

I note Netgear has today announced Gigabit WiFi

http://www.netgear.com/about/press-releases/2012/09262010.aspx
Steve
------------

jm_paulin

I asked for the upgrade on Tuesday via the support request page, and that was done within 24H. Had to reboot the modem to get full download speed, but that about it.
So I had 37/8, and now I have 55/15... I reckon the limit is my own intranet / router, and the servers... 
Is it that much better? well, I certainly save a couple of minutes when downloading HD movies, but that is about it... Funny how I can a 18 Mpbs speed increase as such a little impact on my day to day life... And I only had 3Mbps 18 month ago...
I can certainly see my allowance shrinking much faster, but it it more because the kids noticed the Sky+ Anytime than anything else...

Lance

I think the higher speeds are going to be of much greater benefit to multi-user homes. That additional 18mb allows additional downloads or streaming without impacting as much on something or someone else.
Lance
_____

andrue

I've just emailed a request. I probably wouldn't have bothered if it cost more money but when it's free, why not? If it proves unstable I can presumably drop back. Frankly I only upgraded to FTTC because I could - the 12Mb/s I got previously was ample. Seems like the faster my connection gets the less I want to download.

All a bit of a far cry from 1991 when I first moved into my house and CompuServe were just rolling out 19k2 in the US. Luckily I had a business line so I dialled into New York when I wanted speed  :laugh:

:clap: