Powerline Ethernet questions

Started by Aaron, Mar 14, 2012, 17:50:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron

I'm thinking of using powerline at a new house I'm moving to in 7 weeks, it is a newly-built Persimmons Homes house, so I don't have to pop an RJ45 phone cable to the upstairs router. The plan is to keep the router downstairs this time and powerline it to a gigabit switch upstairs and wire up everything in the room that the switch resides in (PC/PS3/HTPC).

Does anyone have powerline and can share their ping times, as I'm an online gamer? Pings to the router would be good if it's on a powerline adapter. Searching for a few ping times on Google seem impossible for some reason, but a couple I found vary from 4ms to 10ms.

Thinking of going for TP-Link ones: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B004INVKP4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1UKU7VJF5G72Y&colid=2BR9RKFGQNYYD

Will my devices connected to the gigabit switch still continue to run at gigabit speeds, despite the powerline cable being 10/100?

Powerline 200mbps
                 |          |         |
                 PC       PS3    HTPC

IDNet Home Pro ADSL2+ 4Mbps | Billion BiPAC 7800N

Steve

I think the switch will work between the devices as fast as they will go. The only Powerlines that I use that consistently beat my N wireless are 1Gb , not quite on topic but this device works well with my 7800N - Buffalo Nfiniti Wireless-N Dual Band Ethernet Converter
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

JB

I have the exact same TP-Link 200Mbps Powerline Adapters. Here is the result of a ping test. The plug at this end is connected to a 1GB switch and the one in the other room is connected directly to a media centre unit.

ping 192.168.0.31

Pinging 192.168.0.31 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.0.31: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.31:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 3ms, Maximum = 3ms, Average = 3ms

Hope this helps.

By the way, I find this model of powerline adapter excellent. I use them in two properties.
JB

'Keyboard not detected ~ Press F1 to continue'

Aaron

Very nice response time! How far apart are the 2 plugs? Is one upstairs and another downstairs?

JB

We live in quite a large detached house. The first adapter is in the study which is on one corner of the house and the other is in the lounge which is on the far corner of the house. They are definitely on different ring mains with the consumer unit a fair distance from both socket outlets.

I think they are electrically further apart than if one was downstairs and one upstairs.

I don't think you will go wrong with the TP-Link products. My ADSL router, which is the best I have ever had is TP-Link and so is my 1GB switch. I'm not a fanboy, just like good priced stuff that works well.

HTH.
JB

pctech

If you are using all three you may need the 500 Mbps ones and cap the speed to 100 Mbps each if all devices are on and being used at once.

JB

Quote from: pctech on Mar 15, 2012, 11:02:46
If you are using all three you may need the 500 Mbps ones and cap the speed to 100 Mbps each if all devices are on and being used at once.

I think, according to the OP, the requirement is for the powerline adapters to link from the just the router to the gigabyte switch. If that interpretation is correct the powerline adapters are only required to cope with DSL speeds and capacity.
JB

pukkahq

Aaron

Quote from: 6jb on Mar 15, 2012, 17:19:33
I think, according to the OP, the requirement is for the powerline adapters to link from the just the router to the gigabyte switch. If that interpretation is correct the powerline adapters are only required to cope with DSL speeds and capacity.

That would be correct, the powerline adapters only needs to be fast enough to support BT Infinity as that area is getting it this June. A 200Mbps adapter only just about supports it, I read that it syncs at about 60-80 Mbps on average.

Quoteyou could use
http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-500av-4pe.htm

instead of the gigabit switch ;)
I already have an existing TP-Link gigabit switch I can use, and I'm not sure if I can achieve 100-120 MBytes/sec between devices if I use the Solwise. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Steve

I can confirm that the NET-PL-1000M from Solwise give a full throughput on FTTC
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.