IPv6 basics

Started by stroke, Mar 21, 2012, 17:01:50

Previous topic - Next topic

stroke

Hi, Just migrated over to IDNet. Now looking to configure IPv6 on my billion 7402NX and just wanted to check I've understood the basics (having searched through a few posts on here).

I've got the following information from IDNet for the IPv6 allocation (substituting the account specifics with ffff):

IPv6 Prefix:
2A02:390:FEED:ffff::/64

IPv6 Delegated:
2A02:390:ffff::/48

So, when I enable IPv6 on the WAN interface of the router, it will dynamically configure itself with an IP on the prefix subnet, i.e. 2A02:390:FEED:ffff::1234:5678.
I could make this a static IP (/128), but there is no problem if I just leave it as dynamic.

I can then use the delegated /48 to assign IPs to the internal LAN. best practice seems to be that I should use a /64 subnet for this, i.e. 2A02:390:ffff:1::/64 (so will take a subnet from within the /48). My router will also get an IPv6 address on the internal LAN (something like 2A02:390:ffff:1::1) which the PCs will use as their gateway.

Sort out my firewall rules and hopefully it should be good to go!

Does this look right or have I misunderstood something?

Thanks.

Steve

:welc5: :karma:

Sorry in my ignorance you've lost me completely. I have a Billion 7800N I ticked the enable IPv6 box , set the Macs to pick up an IPv6 address automatically and that was that. Yes the addresses are dynamic but you can rightly or wrongly assign the dynamic address as static.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

stroke

Quote from: Steve on Mar 21, 2012, 18:34:26
Sorry in my ignorance you've lost me completely. I have a Billion 7800N I ticked the enable IPv6 box , set the Macs to pick up an IPv6 address automatically and that was that. Yes the addresses are dynamic but you can rightly or wrongly assign the dynamic address as static.

Steve, you were correct - I enabled IPv6 on the WAN profile (using opendns's IPv6 recursive servers); then enabled router advertisements on the LAN. My Windows laptop picked up an IPv6 from the correct delegation - 2A02:390:ffff:0:/64.

It wasn't easy to figure out this was a /64 subnet on Windows, but after enabling it on a Linux box this does show the netmask as a /64.
Both Windows and Linux were configured with the link-local IPv6 address of the router as their default gateway, rather than its global one.

I did try manually setting an IPv6 prefix on the Billion, but that got me into a mess - the windows clients were picking up two global IPv6 addresses, one from the original 2A02:390:ffff:0:/64 that the was router auto-configured and the other in the /64 I had added. Removing the manual prefix then screwed it up and I was getting no global IP on Windows, so I disabled IPv6 on both the LAN\WAN profiles, rebooted and the re-enabled it. This sorted it out

I'm intrigued how the router\laptop automatically configured itself with the 2A02:390:ffff:0:/64 subnet, if anyone knows?