Search Engines

Started by Broadback, Mar 23, 2012, 15:55:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Broadback

I have been a user of Google long before it became "Number 1", very good it was as well. Now however IMHO it has deteriorated to awful, you search for "A" and get junk from other letters of the alphabet, all in the name of money I guess. Anyway, I am not posting primarily to moan, just to find out if there is a better and more efficacious search engine out there. I accept that maybe I could do with a course in search engine speak, :red: where would I learn that anyway?
Nothing is perfect, not even my ignorance!

armadillo

Like you, I have used Google since before it was number 1 and I still think it is excellent. I think the problem you describe occurs when you make the search too simple, for example by searching for a single word.

I always access Google from its advanced search form:
http://www.google.co.uk/advanced_search?hl=en

With that method, I find that Google returns highly relevant results with almost no irrelevant ones, despite the very few clearly marked "sponsored" ones.

Further, I do not feel that the problem, even as you describe it, signifies a deterioration of Google but rather the increasing ingenuity of web developers to include cleverly constructed devices to increase their Google hit rate on simple searches. Using the Advanced search gets round virtually all of those devices.

Technical Ben

That and no matter what you search for you will get "random Advert By google" as your first hit every time. :(
Unless you use a script/add blocker. It's super annoying. I went over to Google because their adds were in the sidebar only and Yahoo were mixing them in with the results. So instead of me having informal adverts, I get sly tricks to try and make me click the wrong thing. It's rather showing if you have to trick your customers into using your services (Plus+ anyone?!).  :laugh:
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

sobranie

Suggest purchase copy of Micro Mart Issue 1200 and view Page 66 (The invisible web).  (currently in the newsagents now).

Technical Ben

This one is the fastest apparently.

;)
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

armadillo

Is that a random advert? :whistle:

Broadback

Of course not. It was engineered!
Nothing is perfect, not even my ignorance!

Glenn

It's only the 3rd fastest engine going by today's performance.  ;)
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

cavillas

Quote from: Glenn on Mar 24, 2012, 11:54:39
It's only the 3rd fastest engine going by today's performance.  ;)
Unless you drop it from an aeroplane. ;D
------
Alf :)

Simon

Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.