Router getting hot

Started by Noelle, Apr 02, 2012, 15:32:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Noelle

Hello,
I'm not very often on this message board but always for a router problem  :angel:
I just bought a Netgear N151 Wireless ADSL2+ from Idnet.
It works fine but it gets very hot, I cannot leave it flat on my desk, I had to put it standing. I did that 15 minutes ago and it's cooling down. Did someone encounter the same problem?
Moreover, the push N' Connect LED works but doesn't blink.
I have a 5 bars connection in the entire house but should I ask for a replacement router or simply leave the router standing and forget about the LED issue ?
Thanks a lot for your help!

Glenn

A quick search doesn't reveal any hits for that router model with heat issues, give support a call and have a chat with them.
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

pctech

I'm running a Netgear N300 (also referred to as the DGN2200), I previously had a DG834G v4 and both run a little warm to the touch which is why the stand is provided I presume to allow airflow around the case.

I think the board and the top of the chip sit against the plastic which is why you can feel the warmth when it is operating.

As fior the push n' connect try checking for updated firmware within the router's config screens

pctech

on my the flashing LED with padlock and wireless indicates it is scanning for WPS devices, to get it to do that you have to hold the button in for about 10 seconds.

Normally it is solid

Noelle

Thanks to all of you:
the LED has come back by pressing for 5 seconds, it has scanned and return to off, not solid.

As for the warm: the pic on the box shows that the router should be put on a table and is delivered without support brackets. I've put it horizontally using the support brackets of my old modem. It seems a little too hot but it's in my office, right behind me when the previous one used to be in the living-room... and I never checked the previous because it was in the living room  ;)

Do you know the URL of Netgear support? Cheers!

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Noelle

Thanks Ric, I'm measuring the temp of the bottom of my router... 35°C, room temp, 25°C, I think I'm tired after a long week-end of home moving and I'm completely overeacting.

Rik

10C doesn't seem excessively warm for a device with no cooling, eg fan. I'd let support know, though, then you're covered.
Rik
--------------------

pctech

I've never used an N150 so the hardware and software probably work differently to the one I have.

As Rik says, let support know but I'd not be overly concerned if its just warm to the touch.

I did once have a Zyxel one port router (i still have it in a box somewhere) which was supplied by an ISP I used years ago that used to get so hot it was uncomfortable to touch but it did have air vents in it, I was so concerned I used to switch it off when I went out or went to bed as it was laid on the floor under my desk and was worried it could catch fire.

I don't have such worries with the Netgear, provided you've put it on its pads on the side or mounted it on the stand you will be ok.

It will definitely run cooler on the stand though.

Noelle

I had a chat with Netgear and they were not concerned about the heat. I sent an email to idnet support to have their view. My tumble- drier burst into flames a year ago at night. I think I suffer from PTSD as soon as an electrical appliance is a little too hot!

pctech

Baz

Ive got a DG834PN and remember when I first bought it that it was also hot when flat and I asked the same question and got similar answers.Have had it stood on end in the supplied feet since and its better,just warm to the touch.

Ive had no bother with it since.