Cheap domain hosting provider?

Started by minimoog, Mar 28, 2012, 15:15:02

Previous topic - Next topic

minimoog

Hi All

Bit of a techno-luddite question if I may: I've got a personal domain name I use mainly as an email identity, but I also have a small webpage with photos and such on it for family/friends to view. My hosting is currently with 34sp.com, and they have been excellent I must say.

Now however I find the website part of my hosting package pretty redundant with the ability to use free services such as Flickr and Dropbox for picture and file sharing.

My hosting renewal is due and is £28 for the coming year. Are there any good and reliable providers I can move my domain to which will allow me to have a few email accounts linked to my domain but without the web hosting, and net me a good saving over my renewal?

Who can folks recommend please?

Many thanks!   

Glenn

How many email addresses do you need?
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

minimoog

I only use one at the moment, but would like the option for more. Probably no more than five, certainly <10.

pctech

D-Dan

or you can link gmail to your own domain name.
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

Lance

Something worth thinking about is how you access your email. If you use imap make sure that is included - some cheaper ones don't always have imap mailboxes. My domain is with 123-reg which has been fine but I host my own email so can't comment on that aspect of their service.
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

pctech

1and1's spam filtering was quite effective but it did mean you had to check the spam folder via webmail quite a bit.

Netcetera, who I now use employ the greylisting technique ignores an SMTP server's first couple of connection attempts and will only acknowledge the third or forth one as a genuine mail server will make several attempts to deliver mail whereas a spam relay will only try once as to make repeated attempts would make it easier to track.

This does sometimes slow the delivery of mail but its a highly effective spam defence.

JohnH