Netgear DG834G V4, possibly dying?

Started by Athanis, Apr 13, 2012, 11:31:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Athanis

G'day,

Using an IDNet configured DG834G V4 with latest firmware, beginning to wonder if it's at the end of it's lease of life.  Approximately three years old, no significant changes to the settings besides the encryption, (Down one setting to accommodate an older laptop) and a mandated switch to the .gw5 suffix a year or two ago after the outages in Northern Ireland.

Lately, within say the last two months, disconnects have been re-occurring with alarming frequency.  I'm a heavy gamer, Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer and Battlefield 3 multiplayer currently- experiencing frequent loss of connection with the former and actually receiving small but irritating bans from servers in the latter because of connection drop-outs.  Low net usage seems to limit drop-outs but disconnecting and reconnecting to the router is the only method that resolves the drop-outs for now. 

Router is always on, approx three meters from the Gaming Desktop- however, thick wooden floorboards (and who knows what else, infrastructure-wise between those) separate the desktop antennas from the Router.  I've adjusted the Routers antenna to point almost directly toward the Desktop and vice-versa in hopes of a stronger connection but drop-outs still occur.

Desktop is capable of Draft N connection, Router is limited to D/B/G. 

If it's dying, having served well for so long, I'd love a suggestion concerning a replacement suitable for Gaming... that won't break the piggy-bank. :P

Thanks for reading, any further tech-details will be provided if requested.

Oh and, great forum too.  First time posting! :)

J.

Rik

Hi and welcome to the forum. :welc: :karma:

Is the router losing sync (you're not connected at all), or is it PPP that's dropping (you're connected but can't access the web) or is it purely a wireless connection issue - I couldn't decide for sure. I think you're saying it's the wireless connection? What's your budget?
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Athanis

Hi Rik,

Unfortunately, the drop-outs occur whilst playing Lan Games too- those aren't so often that I could calculate a failure rate but the increase in connection failures has increased sharply over the past couple of months. 

Budget would be approx 50-70 quid at a stretch.  Wandered into Currys (I know, I know...) yesterday and a helpful little dude pointed me towards the Netgear N300, (a variant of which I think my Brother was sent for his new IDNet connection :D ).  Approx 50 quid for that one.  Gaming performance for the DG834g seemed perfectly fine and if the N300 is decently optimised, I'd be happy to snap it up- if recommended?

J.

Ray

Ray
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: Athanis on Apr 13, 2012, 12:39:43
Unfortunately, the drop-outs occur whilst playing Lan Games too- those aren't so often that I could calculate a failure rate but the increase in connection failures has increased sharply over the past couple of months.

Sorry, I'm still not sure whether it's a case of the computer losing connection with the router, or the router losing connection with the line?
Rik
--------------------

Athanis

Is there any particular data-set I could retrieve that would make the distinction?

Data from Netgear Interface:

IP Address                   xx.xx.xxx.xxx
Network Type           PPPoA
IP Subnet Mask           255.255.255.255
Gateway IP Address   212.69.63.42
Domain Name Server   212.69.36.3

LAN Port
MAC Address          00:1E:2A:EB:A7:42
IP Address                 192.168.0.1
DHCP   On
IP Subnet Mask         255.255.255.0

Modem
ADSL Firmware Version                   A2pB023b.d20e
Modem Status   Connected
DownStream Connection Speed   5099 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed           971 kbps
VPI   0
VCI   38

Any programs I could run to test connection to router vs connection to line?

edit: to remove ip address from public eyes

Glenn

I don't know whether Routerstats will show anything, but it maybe worth a try. http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm

:welc5: :karma:
Glenn
--------------------

Athanis

Interesting @ Glenn.  Line Attenuation results:

Downstream: 44.5db - (Noise Margin: 9.6db)

Upsteam: 26.2db - (Noise Margin: 9.4db)

Steve

I did initially wonder whether you were suffering from WiFi dropouts, which maybe be due to interference from neighbouring wifi networks. If you can scan the neighbourhood you  maybe able to pick a non conflicting channel .

:welc5: :karma:
Steve
------------

Simon

That IP address above should be masked. 

:welc: :karma:
Simon.
--

Athanis

@ Steve, I had wondered about conflicts.  In fact, the wireless card within the Gaming Desktop seems rather less powerful that the one in my Netbook in that it picks up the Netgear and my neighbours own Netgear but none of the other six or so that the Netbook picks up, (though I'm aware that Netbook/ Laptop antennas tend to be more powerful anyhow...?)

Attempted to switch to Channel 13 a few days ago to test just such a possibility but neither the Netbook nor the G.Desktop could find the Netgear, even when given its details via the Windows Network Screen.  The only device that did find it after the Channel change was my S.E. Xperia Play. :P  It's now back to Channel 11, the original setting.

I'm attempting to run Mass Effect 3 to give Routerstats a chance to pick up anything and also to check for any other recurring behavioural patterns when the router is under strain.

Athanis

@ Simon, sorry about that!  Will remember to do so in the future.  I'm a bit of a klutz... :)

Simon

Quote from: Athanis on Apr 13, 2012, 13:41:01
@ Simon, sorry about that!  Will remember to do so in the future.  I'm a bit of a klutz... :)

No problem, it's not us you need to worry about!  ;)
Simon.
--

Athanis

I know @ Simon.  It's the rest of the Internet. 0_o

Unfortunately, I managed a complete match of ME3 without dropout so no real test results yet.

Though, after a bit of research, those line attenuation figures seem very high- something to take up with BT?

Rik

How far are you from the exchange?
Rik
--------------------

Athanis

Straight-line distance, according to SamKnows is 1.40 KM from here to the Belfast-Ormeau Exhange.  Fairly heavy residential area.

Dread to think what the actual cable-length would be...

Rik

About double is a good rule of thumb. You have a raised target noise margin, either 9 or 12db, which suggests instability to me. Keep Routerstats running on a machine for 24 hours, see how the NM varies. What else is connected to the phone line?
Rik
--------------------

Athanis

Will run it as long as possible, current results after an hour or so are bouncing around the 9.6 range.

It's just the router and a wireless Panasonic Landline phone connected to the Master socket and the Panasonics Slave handset attached to the auxiliary socket. 

Steve

A wifi drop out and a dropped sync from the router will look similar with routerstats, won't they? unless I'm being stupid which is entirely possible.  I would suggest setting up a TBBQM and then your not dependent on a wifi connection, you will have to make your router pingable which is a minuscule security risk.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping
Steve
------------

Athanis

Created a monitor @ Steve, going to run ME3 again and wait for the results. :)

Rik

Quote from: Athanis on Apr 13, 2012, 14:20:21
It's just the router and a wireless Panasonic Landline phone connected to the Master socket and the Panasonics Slave handset attached to the auxiliary socket. 

DECT phone?

Do you have an NTE5 master, the type where the bottom half of the faceplate can be removed?
Rik
--------------------

Athanis

Aye, it's a DECT phone.  The faceplate is a full plate with two screws- though, as a note, it's quite old but solidly attached to the wall at least.

Rik

So why does the second phone need to connect to the phone line?
Rik
--------------------

Steve

Re Routers and WiFi

I think pctech has an N300 ?? the dgn2000 seems also to do the job. The wifi channel which don't overlap are 1,6,11 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

The other solution is to try a fixed IP address outside of the dhcp server range.
Steve
------------

Athanis

Ah, excuse me whilst I /facepalm.  It doesn't connect to anything besides the power-socket.

:)