New member - mail server questions.

Started by andrue, Apr 04, 2012, 08:45:02

Previous topic - Next topic

andrue

I'll be migrating in on the 16th and as I'm on vacation next week I'd like to do a little preparation and build up a todo list. I currently run my own mail server and will be looking to continue that. Support have said that they don't block ports so no need to request port 25 unblocking but I forgot to ask about reverse DNS. Is that something I can do via a control panel or something I have to email them about once I'm migrated?

Rik

I think you need to talk to support to do that, but as I've never done it, I'm not the best person to advise. :) Others will be along shortly.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Lance

When I first set up my mail server I just dropped support an email telling then what I wanted the rDNS to be.
Lance
_____

JB

Quote from: andrue on Apr 04, 2012, 08:45:02
Is that something I can do via a control panel or something I have to email them about once I'm migrated?

Hi andrue,

I also run my own mail server. From what I can remember there is no control panel option to set reverse DNS as there is with some providers. I think an email to support will sort it out for you. I found them very receptive to technical matters such as reverse DNS and interleaving.

HTH.
JB

'Keyboard not detected ~ Press F1 to continue'

andrue

Thanks for that. I've added it to my list.

jameshurrell

Yes, just email support - they did it very quickly for me.

andrue

Quote from: jameshurrell on Apr 06, 2012, 12:14:46
Yes, just email support - they did it very quickly for me.
They finally got around to it for me at 5pm today. Still not showing when I test the domain but I suppose there might be a propagation delay although I didn't think there was for rDNS. Means I've been unable to send emails all day. Can't say I'm very impressed with that. My domain provider updated the DNS records within ten minutes and the change went through after an hour. They only get paid £10 every couple of years

:sigh:

Not a very good start to a new relationship  :(

Lance

Andrue, your rDNS is showing correctly for me, updated to your email domain.
Lance
_____

andrue

Quote from: Lance on Apr 16, 2012, 21:47:55
Andrue, your rDNS is showing correctly for me, updated to your email domain.
Yeah, a couple of the tools I used seem to have a delay but when I dug a bit deeper I could see it had gone through. At least it was done within a day and technically I suppose the same day.