Realtek issue

Started by David, Apr 21, 2012, 14:05:34

Previous topic - Next topic

David

Hi all having the day from hell..... since yesterday my main desktop wont connect to the web with the message Realtek PCI GBE family controller drive failed to install
Have tried a restore no luck any suggestions would be heaven sent

I am chasing my tail at the moment so may not remain here long but will check later for any possible remedies for the issue

TIA

David
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

Steve

Sorry don't use Windows , which version David? I would unistall the current driver and either let windows re install automatically or do it manually.

http://www.myaccount.charter.com/customers/support.aspx?supportarticleid=2264
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

sobranie

David

Quote from: Steve on Apr 21, 2012, 14:39:49
Sorry don't use Windows , which version David? I would unistall the current driver and either let windows re install automatically or do it manually.

http://www.myaccount.charter.com/customers/support.aspx?supportarticleid=2264

Thanks  Steve didnt realise that I could do this,
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

David

Uninstalled driver then tried to install but recieved code 10

Steve

Which version of windows?

Code 10 is a driver install error.
Steve
------------

David

Steve

Did you uninstall and then select the scan for hardware changes button?

I think? that the first two downloads should contain the correct drivers.

http://www.realtek.com/Downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=4&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false&Downloads=true
Steve
------------

David

Thanks Steve can I use a usb stick for this and download on this and install on the main desktop ?

Steve

Certainly you can copy across using the usb stick, my gut feeling is to go for the auto install file . I just can't remember with Windows 7, whether device manager gives you the option to install a specified driver via a .inf file like XP did or does.
Steve
------------

David

Ok carried this out no difference would installing my back up disc work ?

David

Just to say thank you you both for all your help it appears to have worked and my main desktop is now running fine really appreciate your help the download onto usb stick now appears to have installed successfully

:thnks: :thnks:

Lance

Lance
_____

David

Happened again today so decided to check the basics and found the lead from the router to my office/room is badly kinked this would show the same message if it has become damaged I would  have thought ? 

pctech

If it is badly kinked/compressed some of the internal wires could be damaged so yes you maybe best advised to renew your piece of Cat5

Steve

If the lead is faulty the drivers shouldn't be affected , the obvious sign would be a failure to  generate a network connection ie no LAN IP address.
Steve
------------

pctech

Yes indeed, sorry not read whole thread.

David

Looking closely the kink is bad a cupboard has been on it...........................only one way to fing out move it closer to router I guess !!!!!!

David

The message reads The wired network adaptor is experiencing problems

Steve

I think in that case I'd swap the lead.
Steve
------------

David

Just took laptop and used kinked wire and it connected no problems so back to reinstalling the drivers....OOI if I have an issue with this can it be a DIY fix ?
ie new hardware being purchased and installed  ?

Glenn

A replacement network card is simple to install in to a desktop.
Glenn
--------------------

David

I did make a back up disc for this machine when I purchased it ..... if I put that in is everything else safe ?

David

Quote from: Glenn on Apr 25, 2012, 17:09:47
A replacement network card is simple to install in to a desktop.

Thanks Glenn will buy one and sort the issue out properly it occurred after a lightening strike although this may have nothing to do with it I have an AMD Advent hope the card is freely available the machine isnt old

Glenn

It's basically, power down, take the lid off, fit and secure the card in a spare slot, replace the lid, power on and let the OS install the driver.
Glenn
--------------------