Realtek issue

Started by David, Apr 21, 2012, 14:05:34

Previous topic - Next topic

David

Thats music to this luddites ears Glenn

Just thought I have spare machines here but would the motherboard be a specific make and model ?

Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

Rik

I'd hate to see your CD collection, then. ;)
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

David

Your sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo mean to me Rik
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

David

Quote from: Rik on Apr 25, 2012, 17:22:19
I'd hate to see your CD collection, then. ;)

I think I have digging a hole bernie Cribbins and Im good at that l

Rik

He always makes me think of Fray Bentos. ;)
Rik
--------------------

David

food glorious food !!!!!you supposed to nip round and replace my network card but what do I get food

Rik

It's what we do best. ;D
Rik
--------------------

David

But can I buy a universal network card from Maplins or PC world later and or is it not that simple ........................I would sooner look a berk here than instore

Rik

Yes, it is that simple, David.
Rik
--------------------

David

I love you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

David

So in effect after looking on you tube I can take the card from a spare defunct machine and just swap it over then ?

No more questions promise

David

Quote from: Glenn on Apr 25, 2012, 17:50:09
http://www.maplin.co.uk/10-100-1000-mbps-pci-network-interface-card-42563 should fit assuming you have a spare PCI slot.

Thanks Glenn I will pop over and save a lot of work thank you so much I thought it would be £50 at least

Rik

Quote from: David on Apr 25, 2012, 18:03:58
So in effect after looking on you tube I can take the card from a spare defunct machine and just swap it over then ?

No more questions promise

That's it. :)
Rik
--------------------

David

Well these is one last one which I am confused about .................when I plug the now new card in will the back of my macine have in effect 2 ports for ethernet cable as existing one seems intergrated to the mother board and I am assuming when I plug the one I am just about to collect from Maplins into the white board inside it will overide and connect up but appearance wise the machine will have 2 plugs showing if that makes sense
Best get some cat5 whilst over there ...................

Steve

The machine will indeed have two ethernet ports, it will not override  the original ethernet port, it will be separate.
Steve
------------

David

Thanks Steve just got back and got the parts and 10 mtres of cat 5 the guy in Maplins said I am better off with 2 !

I have to admit to getting very angry with myself for my shortcomings in things like this .....................all learning curve  :red:

Rik

We all learn all the time, David. The only foolish question is the one not asked.
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

I have a question for you then. How do I remove the Metropolitan Police virus from an XP laptop without rebuilding it? I've followed the guides but it seems to have morphed a little since they were written.

Can't access the desktop, can't boot into any other mode - blue screens, can't run malware programs when the drive is slaved into another drive. I've been trying to fix it for the past 4 hours  :hairpull:
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

David

Quote from: Rik on Apr 26, 2012, 17:47:13
We all learn all the time, David. The only foolish question is the one not asked.

Thanks Rik I have got the new part now as I said and catching up on work before I turn it off as I need this one but nearly there then no presurre to get things done then I will power this down and fit this card and it comes with a disc so will read the manual first I thought the system would detect it but I will read the manula first for once  ;)
I know I joke but really do feel an idiot at times for not knowing these things even the guy in the shop said its the easiest job in the world !!!! thats like saying understanding ISO is the easiest thing ..... only if you understand it  :)
:thnks:  All its appreciated more than you will know

Steve

It really should be straight forward locate the card and boot the PC, Windows 7 should self install the drivers for the new hardware without your intervention.
Steve
------------

David

Thanks Steve the unknown can be scary but lets hope the change of card and the cat 5 lead solves it at last

Rik

After this, though, David, it will no longer be the unknown. ;)
Rik
--------------------