iTunes Home Sharing

Started by psp83, May 03, 2012, 17:03:29

Previous topic - Next topic

psp83

Has anyone managed to get home sharing working in iTunes on Windows?

I'm trying to share my library across apple devices but it's just not working.

iTunes 10.6.1.7 (latest version)
Windows 7 64bit
Windows Firewall off
Home sharing enabled via "Advanced - Turn on home sharing"
Sharing enabled in the Preferences
All Apple devices use the same user / password
Billion BiPAC 7800n router - Ports TCP/UDP 123, 3869 & 5353 all forwarded to my PC & allowed in the routers firewall.
PC has a static IP
Everything has been restarted, including my Apple devices.

I can't get wifi syncing, home sharing or remote working  >:(

Steve

Sorry Paul can't be much help as I've not used it in Windows but it does currently fully work on the Mac. You shouldn't need to forward any ports for it to work on your local network , although I do have UPNP turned on with the 7800N. Is the Bonjour service running? and also have you set a password under iTunes sharing preferences? If so I'd remove it. With regard Apple ID are you using one recognised by your iTunes store account which may be different than the Apple ID used with iCloud.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

psp83

Quote from: Steve on May 03, 2012, 17:51:31
Sorry Paul can't be much help as I've not used it in Windows but it does currently fully work on the Mac. You shouldn't need to forward any ports for it to work on your local network , although I do have UPNP turned on with the 7800N. Is the Bonjour service running? and also have you set a password under iTunes sharing preferences? If so I'd remove it. With regard Apple ID are you using one recognised by your iTunes store account which may be different than the Apple ID used with iCloud.

Yeah there's no password set in the sharing prefs & all devices are using my iTunes store login & also set in the settings on phones/ipads under the music/video settings etc.

I've also got UPNP enabled & Bonjour is running, I only opened the ports because it advices you to on Apple support site if you are having problems.

No matter what I try I just can't get it working.

I might try re-installing Bonjour if I can find out where to download it from again.

Steve

Steve
------------

psp83

It used to work fine when I was using a netgear router.. I've only tried it again this week, but I now have a Billion BiPAC 7800n router and nothing works.

So PC side of things, nothing has changed. It must be something to do with the router  :-\

But I'll have a read of your link first before I mess around with the router anymore.

psp83

Ok, I'm getting somewhere with it.

My phone now appears in the Device list in the left hand menu now over wifi, but it throws an error when trying to sync.

What I don't understand is, it finds the phone on the network to display it in the list so why can't it find the phone on the network when syncing  >:(

pctech

Are you able to browse the shared library and play music from it on your iPhone Paul?

psp83

Quote from: pctech on May 03, 2012, 19:54:04
Are you able to browse the shared library and play music from it on your iPhone Paul?

Nope, that's what I'm also trying to get to work.

pctech

Sorry, only Apple device I have is a Nano

psp83

Got it working.

It seems to be a windows firewall issue and a service set to manual from automatic..

SSDP service was set to manual for some reason, setting this to automatic made my iPhone appear in the device list but nothing worked still..

Now the weird windows firewall issue.. even though it was off I still had to setup some rules.. for 32bit & 64bit of Bonjour, ports 123, 5353 & 3869 TCP&UDP

Now syncing & sharing works with windows firewall on and off..

Why can't nothing be straight forward  ???

Steve

Well done , so when Windows firewall is turned off it's still on to some degree.
Steve
------------

psp83

Quote from: Steve on May 03, 2012, 20:18:05
Well done , so when Windows firewall is turned off it's still on to some degree.

Thanks & I guess so, unless there's an issue with my computer somewhere.

psp83

Bloody Windows Firewall.

After letting it work yesterday, it's decided to play up again..

I've had to turn the windows firewall off and on again just to get it working.

:rant2:

psp83

And it's stopped working again even with the firewall completely off & disabled..

I'm going to give up on this feature soon.