new router

Started by Baz, Apr 24, 2012, 20:53:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Baz

well i'm getting that 'I need a new router upgrade' feeling again  :D so wondered what people use or would recommend

at the moment I have a netgear DG834PN so would like similar spec one, wireless etc.Its been great over the years but every now and then I wonder if its not up to it

Steve

If you wish to stick with Netgear the DGN2200 should be ok.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Baz

ive not had many problems with netgear but im open to new ideas.was looking at draytek before??

Steve

Are you likely to get FTTC in the near future?
Steve
------------

Lance

I've got the DGN2200 and been running it without problem for a while now.
Lance
_____

Baz

Quote from: Steve on Apr 24, 2012, 21:48:27
Are you likely to get FTTC in the near future?

Ah  interesting point Steve,cabinets going up in my local area,exchange enabled end of June and it has crossed my mind so may be worth thinking so.

I would say I will let it settle a while and see how the price changes before I would,expensive stuff it seems to be so far.for the same price I pay now with IDNet I would lose some allowance on FTTC.

good point though  :thumb:

Steve

If your planning to move  to FTTC with a non BT ISP you'll need a router with a WAN port unless you go the Openreach unsupported route of VDSL modem/router combination. So it may be worth planning your next move before you spend your pennies on something that maybe incompatible with FTTC.
Steve
------------

psp83

I would say go with Billion BiPAC 7800N.

Has IPv6 support, Gigabit ports & supports FTTC modems.

Baz

thanks will look at all these.

dont know much about FTTC but I thought that you had to have the BT supplied equipment any way no matter who you were with  :dunno:

Rik

Just the modem, Baz.
Rik
--------------------

pctech

The Linksys E4200 is supposed to be a nice piece of kit.

A colleague had one which he was using with a Draytek modem but had to sell it and ended up swapping for a Netgear modem/router because he moved to Sky and you can't apparently spoof the MAC address as apparently Sky use the MAC address as part of the authentication so in theory only their supported kit should be able to connect to their network.

psp83

Quote from: pctech on Apr 25, 2012, 16:46:55
The Linksys E4200 is supposed to be a nice piece of kit.

A colleague had one which he was using with a Draytek modem but had to sell it and ended up swapping for a Netgear modem/router because he moved to Sky and you can't apparently spoof the MAC address as apparently Sky use the MAC address as part of the authentication so in theory only their supported kit should be able to connect to their network.

One reason why I won't move to Sky as I want to use my own equipment, not the cr*p they give out & you have hardly any control over.

Rik

Same with the TV service. ;)
Rik
--------------------

pctech

After being with Namesco and using the Zyxel P660 one port router they supplied that ran so hot you could fry an egg on it I've not used a ISP provided piece of kit since.