Can I buy a gizmo to join cat leads

Started by David, Apr 28, 2012, 17:50:33

Previous topic - Next topic

David

I think I got the idea I am thinking now to mount the switch in this room and run the cable up through the ceiling and the switch will then serve both this room and the rooms directly above ?
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

Glenn

Like this David

Switch
                                                       l----------- Upstairs computer
                                  Router --------l
                                                       l----------- Downstairs computer
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

When we had out BT main socket moved by my my friendly BT engineer he ran the cable though the roof down into the study, then 'spit' the cable running back the voice to the spare socket in the lounge from the faceplate in the study. All very neat. £20 and munchies.  :)
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

David

Quote from: Glenn on Apr 29, 2012, 11:39:26
Like this David

Switch
                                                       l----------- Upstairs computer
                                  Router --------l
                                                       l----------- Downstairs computer

Yes that the configuarion I have in mind Glenn mount the switch on the wall here near power point and run the cable out of sight upstairs  :thumb:
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

David

Quote from: Gary on Apr 29, 2012, 11:47:28
When we had out BT main socket moved by my my friendly BT engineer he ran the cable though the roof down into the study, then 'spit' the cable running back the voice to the spare socket in the lounge from the faceplate in the study. All very neat. £20 and munchies.  :)
Thankfully since having everything renewed by Bt from the pole outside to the socket I wont be seeing any engineers until the FTTC is availabe which has been put back again   :shake:

Gary

Quote from: David on Apr 29, 2012, 11:51:57
Thankfully since having everything renewed by Bt from the pole outside to the socket I wont be seeing any engineers until the FTTC is availabe which has been put back again   :shake:
Oh I have one I just call up David, nice guy I went to school with, makes life dead handy for internal wiring jobs  ;) If you get to know one and get his number they will sometimes do internal jobs off the books.

David

I am but a humble labourer Gary who knows no-one which such high level skills   :(

Bill

Quote from: Rik on Apr 28, 2012, 17:56:27
You can't double up two machines on one cable, David.

You can Rik: Cat5 Economiser

It's something of a kludge and not recommended for long-term use, and only works for 10/100Mbps.

I only found out about them the other day when I said the same as you :red:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Rik

Thanks, Bill, I'm always learning.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Bill

Apparently they've been around since year dot, but I hadn't heard of them either.

Very useful when you need a temporary second connection and running a cable isn't practicable- eg there's a wall in the way! But not for much else.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

JB

Don't forget to mount the switch somewhere with a bit of airflow David. Sometimes they generate a little heat if left on H24.
JB

'Keyboard not detected ~ Press F1 to continue'

David

Thanks I will going to mount it under my desk with nothing else there to restrict airflow  :thumb:

Gary

Quote from: David on Apr 29, 2012, 11:55:49
I am but a humble labourer Gary who knows no-one which such high level skills   :(
tea and bacon sarnies David  ;)

David

Aye two sugars lad make that brew good un strong now lad  ;D

Oh sorry I thought you were inviting me around  ;D

Gary

Quote from: David on Apr 29, 2012, 17:43:24
Aye two sugars lad make that brew good un strong now lad  ;D

Oh sorry I thought you were inviting me around  ;D
;D If you lived closer David I would.

David

I know Gary and I would accept thank you   :thumb:

Gary

Polchraine

Quote from: Rik on Apr 28, 2012, 18:07:52
I was tossing up which you were trying to do. ;)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/inline-coupler-for-networking-44750

At the at price, it would be almost as cheap to by a 4 port switch.    I was buying those four years back at about 10-20p each!
I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets.

Bill

Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

talos

Quote from: talos on Apr 29, 2012, 09:28:19
So did I  :slap:
                               Yes they are available, got one from the local shop a couple of weeks ago, bout 30p, cheap but effective :)

I said that didn't I,  didn't I say that :dunno: loads of posts ago  :slap: why does nobody ever listen  :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:
         Im going home now to sulk  :'(