Can I buy a gizmo to join cat leads

Started by David, Apr 28, 2012, 17:50:33

Previous topic - Next topic

David

I am in the process of wiring the home up my router is in the sitting room......I ran a cat cable around that room and drilled a hole into the front room.... ok I have two pc,s running off that router
My question is above this room I want to wire the bedroom directly above this one is there a double type socket type thing which would allow me to use the 30 meter cable I have to just run the cable along the skirting up the wall through the cieling which would mean I could plug the bedroom PC in without running a cable from the router and up stairs taking up boards on landing and bedroom

I find it hard to believe that something like that isnt availabel but dont know how to google it

I have a netgear switch which has never been used but dount this  would do it but in theory it should  :dunno:

A David classic question I know but my medication is due soon 
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

Rik

You can't double up two machines on one cable, David.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

David

No I want to join two cable Rik sorry I wasnt clear
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

pctech

If only it was that quick to research errors via Google at work.

I swear it knows when I've got someone on the phone and I'm trying to look up an obscure error as it usually shoves up all the junk.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

David

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Glenn

Before I opened this, I thought why are you taking cats for a walk?  :whistle:
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

pctech

Quote from: Glenn on Apr 28, 2012, 18:29:59

Nah his cat takes HIM for a walk.

David

:-X :-X Mrs Slowcum comes to mind  ;D ;D ;D

I think thats how to spell her name   :whistle:

David

Quote from: Rik on Apr 28, 2012, 18:07:52
I was tossing up which you were trying to do. ;)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/inline-coupler-for-networking-44750

Thanks Rik just recerved on .....Maplins is just across the road to me   :thumb:

pctech

David

And a fine actress I did like Molly Sugden an underated actor in my book 

David

Oh no I just realised I want a single into a double ! at least I know what Im looking for now 

Glenn

Then you need to use a switch or hub.
Glenn
--------------------

David

Thanks Glenn I have one in the cupboard never even knew what it was to be honest  :blush: ;D

nowster

You'll find searching easier if you search for cat5. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable

The device you're after is a coupler.

Gary

Wouldn't it have been easier to use Homeplugs? Netgear does a  blisteringly fast one with a four port switch. I tried it out, got over 80Mbs over it which is pretty impressive. It would have stayed buy Justina didn't like the cables dangling down the wall. My power sockets are about 1 meter off the ground for me to have easy access. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-XAVB5004-Powerline-4-Port-Theater/dp/B004I9IANS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1335685229&sr=8-2
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

talos

Quote from: Glenn on Apr 28, 2012, 18:29:59

So did I  :slap:
                               Yes they are available, got one from the local shop a couple of weeks ago, bout 30p, cheap but effective :)

Rik

Quote from: David on Apr 28, 2012, 19:36:31
Oh no I just realised I want a single into a double ! at least I know what Im looking for now 

As Glenn says, you need a switch for that job, David, you can't 'split' a network cable as you can a phone line.
Rik
--------------------