BlackBerry email account setup nightmare

Started by Noelle, Apr 29, 2012, 22:22:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Noelle

Quote from: Lance on May 19, 2012, 23:51:13
Hi,

Use server smtp.idnet.com with password authentication and SSL off on port 587.

I've used smtp.idnet.com with password but how to I turn off SSL on port 587? I'm really sorry but it's the first time I'm using an iPhone and Orange is useless.

Steve

IPhone > settings>mail >accounts > IDNet mail account > select IDNet account > scroll down to outgoing mail server select smtp.idnet.com select again this should give the page for the server settings.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Ardua

Quote from: Steve on May 20, 2012, 09:22:06
IPhone > settings>mail >accounts > IDNet mail account > select IDNet account > scroll down to outgoing mail server select smtp.idnet.com select again this should give the page for the server settings.

I have connected both a Blackberry and now an IPhone with IDNet mail using the setup described above. The only problem that I have had is router-related. Some Netgear routers, for example, will appear to connect to wifi but not to Blackberry IS (BIS). Without a BIS data connection, e-mail will not work. This issue is well documented on the various BB forums and the problem is not just Netgear router specific.

Noelle

Quote from: Steve on May 20, 2012, 09:22:06

Thanks! I managed to access to the followinf screen:
smtp.idnet.com
Host name smtp.idnet.com
User Name
Password
Use SSL which on ON
Authentification set on Password
Server Port 587

How am I supposed to turn Port 587 off? I tried to delete it, to turn SSL off, it still doesn't work.
Cheers,

Nathalie

Lance

You turn off SSL simply by touching the blue 'On' slider and it should change to off.

Port 587 should be selected automatically but if not just click the number in the 'Server Port' field and it will give you the ability to delete what is there and type the port number you want.
Lance
_____

Noelle

Quote from: Lance on May 20, 2012, 14:38:07
You turn off SSL simply by touching the blue 'On' slider and it should change to off.

Port 587 should be selected automatically but if not just click the number in the 'Server Port' field and it will give you the ability to delete what is there and type the port number you want.

I have no blue slider next to Port 587 with ON/OFF. I can delete it but it reappears. And I have no idea to which port to change it...

Simon

You turn it off where is says Use SSL, which you said is currently set to ON.  :)
Simon.
--

Noelle

I get always the same message:
"Cannot send Mail
A copy has been placed in your outbox.
The recipient "XXX@idnet.com" was rejected by the server"

Rik

Are you sure the address is valid, Nathalie.
Rik
--------------------

Lance

Indeed that does suggest the email is being sent to an incorrect email address. If there was a problem with the SMTP set up I would expect a different error message.
Lance
_____

Steve

I think that's the same error I got when we had smtp problems a few ago. Doesn't a failure to deliver end up with a postmaster response to the inbox.
Steve
------------

Simon

I'm using authentication on port 587, and have had no problems this afternoon.
Simon.
--

Steve

That's my current set up , incidentally in smtp.idnet.com setup on the iPhone all the other smtp servers are set to off.
Steve
------------

Noelle

Yes, the address is valid, I've tried with 4 different ones.

Noelle

It seems to be the same problem than I had with my BB: there's a problem between Orange and Idnet when you buy a new handset.

Simon

If you're using your home IDNet connection, and sending from one IDNet email address to another IDNet email address, Orange shouldn't have anything to do with it, should they?  :dunno:
Simon.
--