BlackBerry email account setup nightmare

Started by Noelle, Apr 29, 2012, 22:22:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Noelle

Hello everybody,
As the weather is awful, I thought it was a good time to upgrade my mobile phone. I have a brand new BB Curve and I'm unable to setup my idnet email accounts - my hotmail, that I never use is fine  ;)
I called Orange, went to an Orange shop and they couldn't find the problem and told me to contact my ISP to double-check my passwords. I perfectly know my idnet passwords, they used to work fine 4 days ago on my old Berry.
Has anyone already encountered such a silly and absurd problem?
Thanks a lot and have a nice week - I'll be back tomorrow night as I won't be able to read your update from my phone tomorrow  ;D

Steve

There seems to have been issues with authentication on the smtp.idnet.com server recently but I managed this evening to use authenticated -smtp.idnet.com  via O2. I've not had any issues with POP or IMAP.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Noelle

Noelle

It didn't work, BlackBerry is rejecting my password.

Steve

On the iPhone my SSL is off , authentication = password username = email address , port =587 server =smtp.idnet.com

As I said POP and IMAP no issues , can you access your email via webmail or PC?
Steve
------------

mervl

Should be OK with the Curve, but I gathered the latest Pearl (which I had as a cheap upgrade from Orange) would only use Enterprise accounts, and not allow a POP or IMAP set up. I got round the problem with the (free) LogicMail app for Blackberry, which accepts both individual ISP accounts and all my accounts linked to my Office 365 mail (where again the Blackberry, uniquely, isn't compatible with the MS Exchange set-up). It'll download the headers leaving you to download the full mail if you decide to, and links to the browser work fine.

A stupid decision by Blackberry in my view, when they were trying to break into the consumer market, but perhaps indicative of why the Company share price has gone to pot.

Noelle

I'm wondering if the problem doesn't come from Idnet: I managed to setup all my other accounts in 2 seconds. The only problem is with Idnet addresses. I'm going to send an email to support and try your app.

Rik

Is the Blackberry fussy about a character you've used in the password?
Rik
--------------------

Simon

Admittedly it was some time ago, and things do change, but I've had IDNet emails set up on a Blackberry with no trouble.  I wonder if it's actually Orange, but I'm more inclined to think it may be a setting somewhere that's incorrect.
Simon.
--

Noelle

Hello,

Lunck break. I have contacted James from Idnet support but he doesn't seem familiar with Blackberry and he's asking me which settings I used (POP3, incoming server). I have tried to explain that I don't need to enter all these for a BB.

Rik, I thought it could be a password problem, I have double-checked this issue with both Orange and BB. I think I have the problem that mervl has with his Pearl but if so why is the problem linked to idnet only and not to my other addresses.

Any ideas knowing I have now contacted Orange, BB and Idnet supports?

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

pctech

Noele have Orange given you a web addres where you can log in and set up your accounts manually on RIM's Internet Services as it could be having trouble auto detecting IDNet's servers.

You sign into this with the PIN from the device.

Simon

Blackberry email goes through their own servers.  I wonder if somehow, IDNet have been blocked?
Simon.
--

Rik

Like Glenn, Noelle, I've not used a BB - my thumbs are way too big. :) The only thing I can think of is that, if the BB is at all like the iPad/Phone, it is possibly deciding that it knows better than you what you decided to type. It might just be worth setting up a new email a/c at IDNet, and seeing if you can get that to work. If you can, I suspect Martin would need to kick the server for you.
Rik
--------------------

Lance

Quote from: Noelle on Apr 30, 2012, 12:23:27
Hello,

Lunck break. I have contacted James from Idnet support but he doesn't seem familiar with Blackberry and he's asking me which settings I used (POP3, incoming server). I have tried to explain that I don't need to enter all these for a BB.

Sorry, I've never used a BB... if you don't enter the server address, how does it know where to pick up the email from?
Lance
_____

Noelle

Quote from: pctech on Apr 30, 2012, 12:33:13
Noele have Orange given you a web addres where you can log in and set up your accounts manually on RIM's Internet Services as it could be having trouble auto detecting IDNet's servers.

You sign into this with the PIN from the device.

Yes, they did. I couldn't try it when I was on the phone with them as I had no computer with me. I tried later at home and the my PIN in not recognized by Orange. Nevertheless, Orange tried to setup my idnet addresses and they failed too. That's why they told me to contact my ISP.

Noelle

Quote from: Rik on Apr 30, 2012, 12:34:35
Like Glenn, Noelle, I've not used a BB - my thumbs are way too big. :) The only thing I can think of is that, if the BB is at all like the iPad/Phone, it is possibly deciding that it knows better than you what you decided to type. It might just be worth setting up a new email a/c at IDNet, and seeing if you can get that to work. If you can, I suspect Martin would need to kick the server for you.
I use a touch BB  ;) I doesn't work as an iPhone at all for setting up email address. It used the push technology: you just enter your email and password and it's done.

Lance

But push email requires the server to support it (running BIS or BES) - and IDNet's don't. That is why you would need to go through Orange as I guess they pull the email through from IDNet and push it to your phone.

The alternative would be to not use push email and just go through the normal pull email set-up.
Lance
_____

Simon

There's no pull email on a Blackberry. 
Simon.
--

mervl

I wonder if there is a (low) limit to the number of e-mail addresses you can use through the BIS service, which you've reached (though I can't find anything about this?).

My problem is that I can't register with Orange for the BIS at all on my current Pearl phone, my previous one was registered but couldn't then get IDNet's server which might be a similar problem to you! However, I can live with with LogicMail's  push mail app. Blackberry, I've decided, is for those people who love a bureaucratic nightmare.

Lance

Thanks for that Simon. I'm surprised there is no pull email but I guess BB made their name through push email.
Lance
_____

pctech

Quote from: Lance on Apr 30, 2012, 13:23:57
But push email requires the server to support it (running BIS or BES) - and IDNet's don't. That is why you would need to go through Orange as I guess they pull the email through from IDNet and push it to your phone.

The alternative would be to not use push email and just go through the normal pull email set-up.

The Blackberry consumer service (Blackberry Internet Services) is hosted by RIM and maintains a constant link with the POP3 server so that it detects mail when it arrives and pushes it to the handset.

Problem comes if the standard mail host names don't work for a domain e..g. mail.example.com

The benefit of the Blackberry system is better battery life as the handset does not have to poll for mail.

Simon

It always used to work with IDNet when I had a BlackBerry a couple of years ago, but that was on O2.  If it doesn't work now, and (not being funny) it's definitely not a user error, then something in the configuration must have changed within IDNet, the RIM mail service, or Orange.  The difficulty will be getting the one that's causing the issue to admit it.   :-\
Simon.
--

Noelle

Hello guys,
I'm back home - I'm a she and French btw so I'm sorry if I put English or technical errors in my posts  ;)
I tried to call Orange... waited 30 minutes and gave-up. I know that it's an Orange, BB, Idnet but which one is the culprit.
Idnet support has given me useless answers today as if I had an iPhone, I gave-up. Orange has done a lot last week and couldn't solve this issue. I guess I should contact BB again: what is the best way to contact them?
Thanks a lot and sweet dreams!!!!!

Simon

You could try the CrackBerry Forums - that's not direct contact with RIM, but you may find others there with a similar issue who can give you some guidance.

I might also be tempted to go back to IDNet, and ask them to check if there are any blocks on Orange IP ranges that could be affecting mail authentication.
Simon.
--