CW1308 (?) or Ethernet cable

Started by Tacitus, May 11, 2012, 14:50:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Tacitus

Looking at doing a rewiring job with a neighbour.  Since the current dropwire is the ancient flat type, there will need to be a new dropwire (BTs province) for which I believe they currently use 6 core (3-pair CW1308?) external quality UTP cable to a new NTE5.  Are there any advantages to using ethernet cable from the NTE5 onward to the other phone sockets, or is the standard BT 3pair OK.

The reason I ask is that it would require purchasing exterior quality ethernet since it's easier to run it round the outside of the bungalow rather than take it across the inside of the roof and then down.

The idea is to use one of the pairs from the faceplate - probably a Clarity supplied one - to the first extension socket (which will be a dual socket) which is where the router is situated, whilst using one of the other pairs to continue to the two other extension sockets.  It will probably be necessary to use a ring wire, but since the ADSL is running on a separate pair, whichever cable I use, this shouldn't make any difference should it?

Polchraine

Standard BT 3 pair should be fine - it is still twisted pair.

You can get external quality CW1308 cable and if really necessary armoured.  It becomes CW1128 for external use and is filled with petroleum jelly too!

And my recommendation for a supplier would be:   FS Cables - they will sell specific lengths of external CW1128.

http://www.fscables.com/Signal++Control/Telephone+Cables/CW1128+External+Telephone+Cable/list.htm

And drop wire is either CW1411 or CW1417

I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets.

Tacitus

Quote from: Polchraine on May 11, 2012, 16:38:09
Standard BT 3 pair should be fine - it is still twisted pair.

I thought that would be the case, but I recall seeing something about the degree of twist in ethernet cable being more suited to higher frequencies.

You can get external quality CW1308 cable and if really necessary armoured.  It becomes CW1128 for external use and is filled with petroleum jelly too!

The only modern dropwire that I've looked at appeared to be heavily PVC sheathed 6 core - no vaseline fill  :)  I should add that it came from the box on the gable end down the external wall and in to the NTE5, so no need for the strainer wire.

And my recommendation for a supplier would be:   FS Cables - they will sell specific lengths of external CW1128.
http://www.fscables.com/Signal++Control/Telephone+Cables/CW1128+External+Telephone+Cable/list.htm

Thanks for this

And drop wire is either CW1411 or CW1417

Didn't appreciate there was a difference between drop wire and standard external 6 core.  I envisaged that it would be the same cable type for both dropwire and the external routing to the sockets.  Certainly the 6-core dropwire that I looked at had been done by an ex-BT guy doing stuff on the side.  All looked professional but maybe the cable wasn't exactly to BT spec - certainly there was no strainer wire.  Doubt whether there was any practical difference in Broadband speeds at the socket though and, it probably cost half of what BT will charge.

Polchraine

The "strain wire" just looks like extra cores in the sheath - normally 4 yellow covered wires which when you strip them back are steel not copper.

As for twists ... the ADSL signal has already come several hundreds or thousands of metres in telephone cable - will an extra few metres make much difference?    Even with VDSL the difference between CW and Cat5e would be minimal.

Take some Cat5e apart carefully and count the twists per foot or yard and you will find that it is different for each of the four pairs - it helps reduce cross talk interference..
I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets.