Netgear DG834PN not responding

Started by Lona, May 17, 2012, 01:11:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Lona

What a time I've been having with my router since yesterday.

I thought Idnet was down and phoned up and got a lovely lady who helped check the router and we both decided it was knacked. It lights up and connects to the home network OK but won't let me connect to the internet.

I'm working just now with an old Speedtouch 330 which was my very first modem when I got BB.

What a carry on I had trying to install it, I ended up installing it on an old IBM laptop which got me a connection and enabled me to download uptodate drivers for Vista.

It's now working a treat and I've ordered a new router from Amazon so it will do me for now.

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

Routers, generally, seem to be one of the less reliable household electrical products.  :(
Simon.
--

pctech

Befre you junk it connect it to power and try the reset switch on the back or bottom.

Hold a pen or straightened paper clip in there for 10 seconds until the power light flashes red.

Make sure you have your IDNet details to hand as it will reset to factory defaults, I've revived a couple of Netgears that way.

Rik

Of course, often the weakest link is the power supply, particularly true of 2700s.
Rik
--------------------

Lona

Quote from: pctech on May 17, 2012, 11:03:43
Befre you junk it connect it to power and try the reset switch on the back or bottom.

Hold a pen or straightened paper clip in there for 10 seconds until the power light flashes red.

Make sure you have your IDNet details to hand as it will reset to factory defaults, I've revived a couple of Netgears that way.

Already tried that. Even tried it on another PC just incase it was something wrong with my PC. Tried it on another power socket as well. 

Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

pctech

Time for it to take up its new role then, as a doorstop/bookend  ;D

Lona

Quote from: pctech on May 17, 2012, 15:47:48
Time for it to take up its new role then, as a doorstop/bookend  ;D

I wish it wouldn't all light up and give you the hope that theirs nothing wrong. Usually when electrical equipment dies it's light out all round. :bawl:

Lona

Got my new router today Netgear Dgn2200 N300 and after trying to connect to the internet after 2 hours phoned Idnet and spoke to a bloke can't remember his name. I told him the story of previous router and that new router is showing the same symptoms he told me it could be a fault at BT and that he would do some checking. I told him it couldn't be my phone socket as an old modem connects perfectly.

I then connected back up the speedtouch modem after having uninstalled it and got connected no problem.

Then got a phonecall from Idnet telling me that there was a fault in my area and they would find out about it on Monday. When I told them I had a connection with an old modem I was told that was possible as they are not as complicated as routers. 

I now ask myself..... Did I buy a new router which I didn't need as there must be nothing wrong with my old one.  Was I given wrong information last week when I complained about having no connection.
Is Idnet blaming BT or is BT blaming Idnet. Do either of them know what they are doing?

I give up

Rik

That doesn't feel right, Lona. A router is a two-part device, half of which is a modem. Sounds like BBB to me.
Rik
--------------------

Lona

What is BBB and how is it I am connected at the moment with 10 year old modem.?

I'm going to have one more go at connecting my old router and if I find out there was nothing wrong with it in the first place somebody is going to receive a bawling out from me.

Rik

BBB = bullshit baffles brains.  ;)
Rik
--------------------

Lona

I can think of better words beginning with B ;)

Rik

Rik
--------------------

pctech

Lona did you let the router autodetect the line?

Lona

Quote from: pctech on May 19, 2012, 16:03:02
Lona did you let the router autodetect the line?

Yes I did and eventually got a connection but when I opened my brouser this is what came up

SERVICE INFORMATION
Close Window

You have been connected to this page due to one of the following reasons. You must now shut down your browser and Internet applications before attempting to reconnect.
•   The BTWholesale access circuit to your Service Provider is currently down.
Your service should be resumed soon.
Or
•   You are testing your local connection to BT using
'bt_test_user@startup_domain'
Or
•   You are testing your connection to your Service Provider using 'bt_test_user@domain' where domain is your Service Provider domain name.
Or
•   Your Service Provider is currently unable to accept your connection request please wait until service is restored or contact your Service Provider for further information.
Or
•   You have attempted to access an invalid Service Provider domain.

So how does it explain that I am connected at this moment with this silly wee modem?

Rik

It doesn't, that's a classic BT fault message.
Rik
--------------------

pctech

Lona

Quote from: Rik on May 19, 2012, 16:10:59
It doesn't, that's a classic BT fault message.

Which makes me ask why can I connect via speedtouch modem but can't with two different routers.?

Rik

Rik
--------------------

pctech

Might be an idea to plug in the new router, let it boot and hold a pen in the reset hole on the bottom (until the power light flashes red once)

Go through initial setup and then click Router Status and check the IP, the reset will rule out any problems with the session management code in the router.

Also check the firmware version on the status page (I'm running V1.0.0.36_7.0.36 on this one)

pctech

What version of Windows are you using Lona?

Lona

Desktop is Vista, Laptop is Win7

Simon

Lona, when you connect the router are you connecting to the computer via a cable or wirelessly?  Can you connect to the Internet via one but not the other?
Simon.
--

Lona

Desktop is ethernet, Simon and laptop is wireless.  I have the local network working perfectly but can't connect to the internet either with wireless or ethernet.