FTTC Router suggestions

Started by Mouseroo, May 17, 2012, 19:02:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Mouseroo

Well hello again!

Once every 12 to 18 months, I crawl out from under my rock of ignorance to see what's changed in the world, and what do I find?  Only that my exchange is upgraded for FTTC!   :D
Now this makes me a happy bunny, but it seems that my trusty old Netgear ADSL2+ router will need to be retired and replaced by something new and shiny  (any excuse   ;)  )
I fully admit that I haven't really started doing my homework on this, but I'd appreciate any suggestions / links to other threads which can get me thinking about a respectable FTTC router.
Is a new router all I'll need, or is there anything else (told you I hadn't started my homework yet!)

Also, I'm happy from the IDNet pricing page that the monthly charge for my current package increases by about £3, but I'm still a little unclear on the £96 charge for connection.  Is that only for people without existing broadband, or is there a whole new generation of jiggery-pokery for an engineer to do which justifies the price?

Many thanks in advance,

Andy
Andy
----------

Your ability to bang your head against reality in the hope that reality will crack first is impressive, but futile!

Steve

The standard Openreach install for FTTC also comes with a vdsl2 modem so you get that within the fee. The engineer also fits a BT filtered faceplate once he's enabled you at your FTTC cabinet. As your aware (BT retail supply their own router hub) you'll need a router or a router/adsl modem (with a wan input) I'm using the Billion 7800N on FTTC which works fine . Netgear also do routers and I think IDNet have one that they can supply. Others have had success with the Fritz!box which also includes a vdsl2 modem..
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Mouseroo

Sounds good.
Thanks very much for the information  :)

Cheers,
Andy
Andy
----------

Your ability to bang your head against reality in the hope that reality will crack first is impressive, but futile!