Started by Baz, May 20, 2012, 06:19:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Baz

that first link is dead so heres another from a different site

Rik

Have you talked to support?
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Baz

no not yet Rik.Im always in 2 minds whether to call or see if it rights itself first.it just seems odd that its slowed a bit and ive had a drop a few days ago

Rik

Always worth checking, Baz.
Rik
--------------------

Baz

it'll be out of hours now is it

pctech

Yes Baz, prob best to wait until tomorrow

Gary

Quote from: Baz on May 30, 2012, 18:19:10
no not yet Rik.Im always in 2 minds whether to call or see if it rights itself first.it just seems odd that its slowed a bit and ive had a drop a few days ago
Whats the new router, Baz?
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Baz

its a Netgear N600 Gary

Gary

Which N600 Baz? If its a DGND3700 they have lots of problems, read this forum1.netgear.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115 Lots of issues with droped lines etc, Netgear have never sorted it out sadly and now a V2 is coming out and a N750 DGND4000 so they probably wont fix it since its been almost a  year now. If its not this router forget all of this  ;D

Gary

That took about 7 minutes to post, the forum was so damn slow!   :mad:

Baz

yep its that router Gary but its been ok so far and previous Netgear have been good so thats why I choose  this one.I believe its to do with some recent drops I had which were to do with BE network doing some work...I hope any way.

Im going to go through the test routine with support just now as have had an email from James asking me to plug into the test socket. :dunno:

Baz

well plugged into test socket and speed went up  :dunno: I also found on the cable I was using that it was slightly bent at the fitting end, not damaged a great deal but may have had an affect on it, dont know.

Support didnt really say if they found any problem or even if they had to test it, bit unclear as to what they did

So I now have a bog standard flat cable that comes with the router.Do you recommend any decent better quality/performance ones to use.

I asked support while they were emailing me etc but I feel they mis understood what I was asking and told me 'The recommended setup is from the main socket directly. We do not recommend the use of additional cabling for broadband connections.'

:dunno:

Gary

Quote from: Baz on May 31, 2012, 13:42:18
yep its that router Gary but its been ok so far and previous Netgear have been good so thats why I choose  this one.I believe its to do with some recent drops I had which were to do with BE network doing some work...I hope any way.

Im going to go through the test routine with support just now as have had an email from James asking me to plug into the test socket. :dunno:
Honestly Baz, I had that router, its a nightmare, just search DGND3700 problems, you would be better off with something else, Netgear really dropped the ball with that router. Beta firmware has still not sorted out all the issues, and it looks like it may not even get IPV6, I would send it back and get something else, the 4000 comes out next week.  :( Look at Amazons reviews, and Braodbandbuyers, its the same story of dropped lines, failure to re-connect plus loads of other issues. Honestly one of the worst routers Netgear have ever made. Your issues could be down to that router tbh

Baz

well I read loads of reviews before and saw lots of pros and cons about it,which you will get with any equipment yeah?, but I have truly had very little bother with this and previous netgear routers.you mention amazon/broadbandbuyer reviews about dropped lines failed re-connects etc.and I had very little of those problems.may be its just bad lines etc.

I hope its down to the recent drops I had  which I now know were down to the network provider.

what would you recommend for a different type then.

Gary

Quote from: Baz on May 31, 2012, 16:15:19
well I read loads of reviews before and saw lots of pros and cons about it,which you will get with any equipment yeah?, but I have truly had very little bother with this and previous netgear routers.you mention amazon/broadbandbuyer reviews about dropped lines failed re-connects etc.and I had very little of those problems.may be its just bad lines etc.

I hope its down to the recent drops I had  which I now know were down to the network provider.

what would you recommend for a different type then.
Its what you are using it for, Baz. This router has gotten more issues than most, hence the link to the Netgear forum, its all there  :( Do you need 5Gz? If not and you like Netgears the DGN2200 would be more than enough tbh.

Baz

probably dont need the 5g no but my daughters Mac picked it up straight away and it has improved that for her.Also my exchange is fibre enabled soon and this router would be ok for that if I decide to go that way,if i've read the spec right,if not i'm still ok with it so will keep it until I get major probs.

what would you recommend then Gary.What do you use?

Gary

Quote from: Baz on May 31, 2012, 17:18:40
probably dont need the 5g no but my daughters Mac picked it up straight away and it has improved that for her.Also my exchange is fibre enabled soon and this router would be ok for that if I decide to go that way,if i've read the spec right,if not i'm still ok with it so will keep it until I get major probs.

what would you recommend then Gary.What do you use?
The DGND3700 had the fibre part turned off before main release, Baz. If your daughter has a modern Mac wait till next week and get the DGND4000. Netgear should have learn by their mistakes for that release. I'm using a DGND3300 works great for me ticks along been up for over 500 hours since my last manual reboot when I was upgrading firmware. Check out the DGND4000 if not the DGND3300 should be fine, thats 5Gz and 2.4Ghz. Cheaper than the 3700 too and on Amazon.

Steve

Steve
------------

Baz

Quote from: Gary on May 31, 2012, 17:31:47
The DGND3700 had the fibre part turned off before main release, Baz....

really? dont understand that bit Gary, if so how can they still advertise it as compatible with fibre, on their own site

Rik

Rik
--------------------

pctech

Are you saying they have disabled the ethernet WAN port Gary or simply rate limited it?

If just rate limited to Fast Ethernet (100 Mbps) it's be ok for 80 Meg FTTC if someone already has one but no I'd not buy one.