NOD

Started by Baz, May 21, 2012, 20:45:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

Just get the AV, don't Eset do a % off if you renew after a year still?
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Baz

they do yes Gary.It will cost me £20.95 against £29.99 for first time buyer.

A good price but I was just looking at other options thats all.

RogerP

Hi Baz

I've got ESET on a PC the wife use's, tried it on mac but seemed to slow it down.

Now trying Sophos on Mac free to use and no probs so far updates on it's own so quite happy with it

RogerP

psp83

I also use NOD32 & have done for 4-5 years.. No issues here.

armadillo

Baz, I do not have Windows firewall enabled either. I consider the inbound protection of a router fully adequate. Windows firewall does not monitor outbound traffic anyway. I have not used any software firewall since the days when I had a modem instead of a router.

As for installing ESET Smart Security and only turning on the AV part, I would recommend against it. The AV protection is the same for both ESS and NOD32, using the same AV definitions and the same heuristics. But the drivers are different. Even if you turn off part of the ESS protection, you still have the ESS drivers loaded and it is the drivers which can lead to conflict with other parts of your system.

Unless you want the additional features of ESS, which are spam filtering, firewall and network monitoring and parental control, then it is better to get your AV protection from NOD32 than from ESS.

Both products protect against viruses, trojans, rootkits, spyware, malicious websites, infected email, phishing and potentially suspicious application activity.

Lance

I haven't used NOD for a few years now. I'm more than happy just running the free Microsoft security essentials and the windows firewall behind my router firewall. I can't see the point in paying for av protection when there are perfectly good free products.
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

sobranie

Quote from: Baz on May 23, 2012, 18:05:31
Nice reply Armadillo thanks  :thumb:

just to put some thing else in the equation, I said I havent used a software firewall for ages, I do not have windows firewall enabled too. What are your views on that

another one for  Sobranie, back to the offer of Smart Security deal in the link,if you use that are you able to just install the AV alone or do you have to fully install the full package and if so is it the same AV version as the stand alone one

To the best of my knowledge the whole package is installed from the supplied software via amazon.  The av data base shows #7162 as at todays date. Perhaps someone just running NOD32 could confirm that it identical.
The firewall settings are a little complicated at times but it's simple to delete the lot and reply to the request pop ups that follow on automatically from eset.
FWIW I'm completely happy with my purchase!

armadillo

Quote from: sobranie on May 23, 2012, 22:53:48
The av data base shows #7162 as at todays date. Perhaps someone just running NOD32 could confirm that it identical.

Yes I can confirm my NOD32 is showing 7162 dated 20120523.