WHAT SHOULD I GET ?

Started by Rocky, Jun 20, 2007, 19:36:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocky

Hello,
       I am thinking of joining Idnet. What is the service like ? When I ran the BT checker is says I should get 2.5 meg download speed. These are my stats what do you think I should get with them? It looks like a great place here. Thanks for any help. Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 5:05:48

Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 5,248

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 10.25 / 52.67

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 19.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 30.0 / 49.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 20.0 / 3.5

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / 

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 123 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 3,601,241

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 148

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 124

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Supanova

hello welcome from me :)

Your up/down speeds look pretty fine to me 448 up is (i would guess) the max you can probably get on your current contract.

"When I ran the BT checker is says I should get 2.5 meg download speed."

Looks to me like you currently have a download speed of 5.2Meg :S i dont know why BT would say you can only get 2.5 as that is a long way below normal downspeed. however i am a newbie so dont take my words too seriously, wait for Rik or Lance to post (wont be long knowing them  :laugh:)

Im currently in the process of migrating to IDnet (will be on by 25th june) and everything seems to be going smoothly so far. Prices are very competative and if you can find a single bad word about IDnet we would love to hear about it  :P

Regards
"Privacy is dead, deal with it" - CEO Sun MicroSystems

DorsetBoy

Hi Rocky,

Welcome to Idnetters...........

what you need to do is go to www.speedtester.bt.com and run their test and post the results to go along with your router stats.

The downstream attenuation would probably suggest a speed of around 2.5 to 3.5mb.

There are a lot of errors showing and it looks like interleaving is on which will reduce speeds a bit.
The downstream SNR looks low,the target figure is 6db.

When all your stats are posted Rik the resident magician will be able to give you a better idea of what to expect.

What is the service like? You will like it!

Rik

Hi Rocky

Welcome to the forum. :)

Your sync speed, if it's stable, suggests a profile of 4500kbps, but as Dorset notes, your error count is quite high, so you may be picking up quite a lot of noise - something which the noise margin bears out.

It would be worth checking your internal wiring to see if anything can be done to reduce noise levels, there's a guide here.

If you run the BT speed test, as suggested by Dorset, we'll know what profile you have. If it's lower than 4500, it would suggest the line has been unstable. Do you notice any losses of synchronisation?
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.