No "overhaul" for Communications Bill

Started by Simon, Jun 08, 2012, 13:48:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

The Government has scrapped its Communications Green Paper, saying existing communications laws don't need an "overhaul" to bring them in line with the digital age.

Instead, the Department for Media, Culture and Sport will hold a series of "seminars" to steer the contents of the upated Communcations Bill.

The Government is looking to update 2003's Communications Act, looking into network investment, spectrum plans, superfast and rural broadband - as well as wider issues such as press regulation. As part of that, the DCMS had been working on a Green Paper - a consultation document that normally precedes a White Paper, which is the basis for many bills.

The Green Paper was widely expected to arrive this spring, after an open letter calling for input from the DCMS in May 2011 - although newspaper reports are speculating the delay has more to do with the political troubles surrounding Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt than the Communications Bill plans.

"The responses to the open letter showed there was no need for a complete overhaul of the legislation but they did recognise the need to update regulations to ensure they are fit for the digital age," the DCMS said in a statement.

Read more: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/375031/no-overhaul-for-communications-bill
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Simon

Simon.
--

Niall

I think my iPhone browser is being weird again. Rik had 5 tartan buttons and no avatar, while Simon has 5 pictures of Rik and a Wolf ;D
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Simon

Simon.
--

Lance

Quote from: Niall on Jun 08, 2012, 15:46:22
while Simon has 5 pictures of Rik and a Wolf ;D

Does Sue know about this?  :eyebrow:
Lance
_____

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: Niall on Jun 08, 2012, 15:46:22
I think my iPhone browser is being weird again. Rik had 5 tartan buttons and no avatar, while Simon has 5 pictures of Rik and a Wolf ;D

Cache clearing time. :)
Rik
--------------------

Simon

You'll get Den all excited, talking about ewes!  ;)
Simon.
--

pctech

Quote from: Rik on Jun 08, 2012, 17:31:36
Yet another U-turn... ;)

I bet Maggie isn't too chuffed, not really turning out to be a Thatcherite is he?

Rik

Not turning out to be much of anything really.
Rik
--------------------