ipv6 down again

Started by Rachel, Jun 18, 2012, 14:03:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Rachel

after my first cleaner-induced network outage, on bringing everything up again IPv6 wasn't working for me. In fact I have no idea if it failed before then and I just wasn't around to experience it.

Previously I'd been advised to make sure the firmware was up to date on my billion 7800N, and on each previous occasion there did happen to be an update available and applying it seemed to bring ipv6 back to live. I actually suspect that a factory reset of the router settings is what really did it. So as there's no newer firmware version this time, the factory reset was what I tried.

But it didn't help.

Also it's *still* always been the case that I've had to set the LAN IP field to the <prefix>::1/64 address inside my prefix to get anything to work, which others with this router have apparently not had to do. Still, now, setting it or not setting it makes no difference. There's just no IPv6 routing.

Just want to check it's not a wider issue than just me this time? IPv6 still working for other idnetters?

Rachel

and working again after randomly setting and unsetting that lan ipv6 address a few times (and finally one time leaving it set, it works).

banging head on desk in frustration...

Ardua

Rachel - no problems on my Fritz!Box. I have had a 1/64 address and 1/48 prefix since BT last did some exchange work 5 days ago. I am not familiar with the Billion so I cannot comment. You might like to try Whirlpool.net.au as our 'Down-Under' cousins seem to know a lot about the Billion 7800N (and the Fritz!Box for that matter!).

psp83

There is an annoying bug / feature in the newer firmware.

Try the steps in my post in another thread to see if it helps when it goes again..

http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,26010.msg680725.html#msg680725

Rachel

Quote from: psp83 on Jun 18, 2012, 15:04:27
There is an annoying bug / feature in the newer firmware.

Try the steps in my post in another thread to see if it helps when it goes again..

http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,26010.msg680725.html#msg680725

Oh yes I encountered that too, but it's mainly a user-interface bug. I had got past that point though - after all that's the page where you enter your adsl login/password so if you don't successfully get that entered you don't get online at all. :-)

I don't mind that so much, it's a momentary annoyance until you're used to it, and really it's not so much a user interface bug as a user interface misdesign; the text on the buttons isn't clear; that essentially you need to click that button to save or apply the changes.