Thinking of moving from Sky and using DrayTek 2820n on idnet

Started by PuntsWorth, Jun 17, 2012, 15:52:43

Previous topic - Next topic

PuntsWorth

Hi,

Can anyone tell me the following is correct?

I would like to move away from Sky as the traffic shape system is driving me nuts.
I am on a non-sky exchange running on a rebranded BT ADSL service, I would have a guess looking at Sam Knows this would be the same for idnet? (http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SDPVNSM)

Would this mean I would suffer the same traffic system as I do on sky if I moved?

Also I have read idnet hand out TPC/IP v6 addresses and Draytek 2820n isn't v6 compatible, does this mean I would need a new router? Or when/if my exchange gets upgraded I would need a new router if idnet installs in there? ..... Can idnet set my account for only v4 and for how long?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but as a guest I have been looking for the above without much luck.

Many thanks
:) 

Glenn

:welc5: :karma:

There is no port blocking or traffic shaping applied to your IDNet connection, Sky would have been traffic managing their own part of the network.

IDNet will give you a static v4 IP and a v6 range, you can use one or the other, or both.
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Ray

Ray
--------------------

PuntsWorth

Quote from: Glenn on Jun 17, 2012, 16:16:22
:welc5: :karma:

There is no port blocking or traffic shaping applied to your IDNet connection, Sky would have been traffic managing their own part of the network.

IDNet will give you a static v4 IP and a v6 range, you can use one or the other, or both.

Hi,

But won't be ADSL sit with BT as my exchange as no service from anyone else and they have a traffic management system which my line will be on?

Just trying to clear this up before I make the jump.

Cheers

Rik

The traffic management system is broadly within BT's retail product, not the backhaul. The only TMS applied to the backhaul is the exchange priority for Pro roducts.
Rik
--------------------

PuntsWorth

Quote from: Rik on Jun 17, 2012, 17:50:03
The traffic management system is broadly within BT's retail product, not the backhaul. The only TMS applied to the backhaul is the exchange priority for Pro roducts.

Hi,

Thanks for the info.... just read what I typed and all I can say is sorry, I think I was watching the Tv while trying to type :o :red:.

You must be a mind reader!

Rik

Rik
--------------------

PuntsWorth

Last question,

I have asked Sky for a MAC code but I would also like to move away from BT (for line rental + Voice calls), do I need a request to move to BT or will Idnet handel it with BT?

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Lance

Yep, they do Glenn. They'll inform your old provider who will then right to you to let you know the change has been requested. No response to this means everything goes through.
Lance
_____