Recommendations for a 2-wire 2700 replacement?

Started by gingerjedi, Jun 29, 2012, 09:33:36

Previous topic - Next topic

gingerjedi

My trusty 2-Wire has just had another failed PSU, luckily I sourced a replacement from work but they are getting harder to find.

Can anyone recommend a router with the same sort of characteristics i.e. hanging on to a line where other routers fail!

I've got an old DG834GT (v1 or v2?) with latest firmware which just drops every few hours and fails to reconnect even though it remains synced? I did hear that the chipset is less than reliable at sync rates above 2000kbps.

Also tried a new D-link N series which would drop every 3 or 4 minutes, something to do with polling where it didn't get a reply quick enough if I remember correctly? That went back!

Is there anything like the 2-wire on the market? My area is getting FTTC soon so something that would cope with that would be good. 

gingerjedi

Thanks but I'm looking to get something more reliable, 2-wires are great but the PSU's are cr*p so ideally I don't want to keep buying them.

How can such an old router be so much better than what's on the market today???

FritzBox

Quote from: gingerjedi on Jun 29, 2012, 09:53:03
Thanks but I'm looking to get something more reliable, 2-wires are great but the PSU's are cr*p so ideally I don't want to keep buying them.

How can such an old router be so much better than what's on the market today???

I've only ever known one 2700 fail, that was one I put in for a friend of mine. The rest of the time it's the dodgy pus's(I was going to change my spelling mistake, but some how it seems more appropriate

Let us know how you get on with the psu repairs

Polchraine

I have not come across anything that is as good as the 2wire for long lines v4, v5 and v6 2700s are all as good.

I have also never come across a failed PSU either - I have 5 running here and some have been up for years.    If it is just teh capacitor then an easy repair, just make sure you get them the right way round and maybe go for a 20v rated one rather than the 16v installed.

I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets.

Simon

You've been lucky.  I've had three PSUs go. 
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Polchraine

Quote from: Simon on Jul 24, 2012, 20:16:04
You've been lucky.  I've had three PSUs go. 

One of them is running in a location where ambient temperature is currently around 35 degrees C !  On a very hot day, it could rise and even on freezing winter days, it is still over 20 degrees.

I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets.

JB

Quote from: Polchraine on Jul 24, 2012, 20:56:13
One of them is running in a location where ambient temperature is currently around 35 degrees C !  On a very hot day, it could rise and even on freezing winter days, it is still over 20 degrees.
Are these PSU's easy to open or are they bonded/sealed?
JB

'Keyboard not detected ~ Press F1 to continue'

Lance

I've had one psu fail, but two continue to work faultlessly in other locations.
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

sat_mad

Does the replacement PSU have to be specifically for the 2700, or will one with a similar rating be ok?

FritzBox

Quote from: sat_mad on Oct 07, 2012, 14:12:18
Does the replacement PSU have to be specifically for the 2700, or will one with a similar rating be ok?

Similar should be ok, but you should be able to pick up a router and psu quite cheap on ebay, then sling the router