Sky Anytime Plus

Started by Ardua, Jul 04, 2012, 18:35:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Ardua

Sky keep sending me information about their Anytime Plus service which I understand will get BBC IPlayer and ITV Player in the Autumn. I am not keen on paying Sky £60 for another box and I have in mind some cheaper connection options. Before I go to the trouble (a) is Anytime Plus worth it and (b) am I right in assuming that BBC IPlayer and ITV Player will be programme downloads rather than streaming?  The latter is more attractive given IDNet's peak/off-peak bandwidth split as I could download the odd missed programme whilst I am eating my morning cornflakes.

Baz

sorry cant tell you what Sky service is like but i have a humax freesat box and I can get both channels on there.

its something I dont watch really though as the way I have my tv and internet set up it means trailing a cable from one room to another

Steve

Sorry mine's not working currently and I've hardly used it, but I believe you download and or stream.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

kinmel

Anytime+ offers a guide to the available programmes, some have already been brought down by satellite and stored in the reserved area on your Sky+ box. The rest of the programmes are not stored on your box but delivered through your broadband connection when you select the item. You can start watching before the download has finished.

Although the guide lists everything available, you cannot view programmes from channels that you do not subscribe to.

Anytime+ also includes a greatly extended film rental facility known as "Sky Store", previously called "Box Office".

You can upgrade from an old Sky box to a Sky+ box for only £15 if you choose self install and there is no additional monthly fee; you do start a new 12month contract though.

Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Ardua

Thanks again. Reading other forums, it would seem that Sky has not released any details on whether BBC IPlayer will be a streaming or download service on Sky Anytime plus. I may well wait as I have other ways of accessing streamed services.

Steve

Having iPlayer on the TV and DVD-BD certainly helps.
Steve
------------

sparky

QuoteYou can upgrade from an old Sky box to a Sky+ box for only £15 if you choose self install and there is no additional monthly fee; you do start a new 12month contract though.

My Sky + box doesn't have a network connection, I beleive it has to be a Sky + HD box? That means you have to pay them extra for HD as well as connecting it to your phone line? I stand to be corrected though if any one knows better.

Gary

Quote from: sparky on Jul 06, 2012, 13:28:52
My Sky + box doesn't have a network connection, I beleive it has to be a Sky + HD box? That means you have to pay them extra for HD as well as connecting it to your phone line? I stand to be corrected though if any one knows better.
I believe you can have a free upgrade to an HD box, but not have to take the HD, sub. This may have been an offer but this is what a friend of mine did. 
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

sparky

Interesting. I'll look into it. Maybe if I threaten to leave  ;)

Not sure why they would give you a "free" upgrade. There has to be something in it for them, even if it's just to tie you to another 12 month contract I suppose, but as far as I can tell, every SKY HD box has to be connected to a phone line and I have enough problems in keeping my phone line clean as it is.

Ray

Quote from: sparky on Jul 06, 2012, 13:53:21
but as far as I can tell, every SKY HD box has to be connected to a phone line and I have enough problems in keeping my phone line clean as it is.

It's only for the first 12 months which is the same as any of the Sky boxes.
Ray
--------------------

kinmel

Quote from: sparky on Jul 06, 2012, 13:28:52

All new Sky boxes are now Sky+HD even if you only have the basic subscription.  The idea being you will eventually upgrade your account.

Sky only monitor for a connected phone line if you have multi-room ( so you can't use one of the boxes elsewhere.)
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

sparky

QuoteThe idea being you will eventually upgrade your account.

:laugh:  Their getting no more money out of me.

Niall

Quote from: kinmel on Jul 06, 2012, 14:07:58
All new Sky boxes are now Sky+HD even if you only have the basic subscription.  The idea being you will eventually upgrade your account.

Sky only monitor for a connected phone line if you have multi-room ( so you can't use one of the boxes elsewhere.)

We've got sky multiroom, and not one of the boxes are connected to the phone line :)
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

kinmel

Quote from: Niall on Jul 06, 2012, 14:24:22
We've got sky multiroom, and not one of the boxes are connected to the phone line :)

You will eventually get letters from them, after that they switch off all but one viewing card
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

Niall

Well we've had it for three years now, and they haven't said anything, plus they came and installed another in my bedroom and the engineer told me it didn't matter :)
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Gary

Quote from: sparky on Jul 06, 2012, 13:53:21
Interesting. I'll look into it. Maybe if I threaten to leave  ;)

Not sure why they would give you a "free" upgrade. There has to be something in it for them, even if it's just to tie you to another 12 month contract I suppose, but as far as I can tell, every SKY HD box has to be connected to a phone line and I have enough problems in keeping my phone line clean as it is.
They want everyone running on the same platform, and with similar boxes for compatibility. All new installs are now HD boxes, tbh its a way of making people want to upgrade I imagine, but there are so many HD channels now I enjoy the choice anyway.

Niall

I'd love to have HD but it'd cost me £76 a month and that's ludicrous!
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

Gary

Quote from: Niall on Jul 07, 2012, 10:46:04
I'd love to have HD but it'd cost me £76 a month and that's ludicrous!
Costs me £51 but I don't have sports. That's with Movies and all the other packages. Not sure how you get £76 when the Sky world package costs £65 and that I believe has everything.

psp83

Don't forget, prices go up September. You will see the increase on your August bill.

Sky world = £2.50 a month increase

If you don't have sports, I think its a £1.50 a month increase.

Steve

I'm assuming Multi Room is in Niall figures.
Steve
------------

Gary

Quote from: Steve on Jul 07, 2012, 20:10:03
I'm assuming Multi Room is in Niall figures.
That makes sense, and is a rip off.

Gary

Quote from: psp83 on Jul 07, 2012, 19:33:39
Don't forget, prices go up September. You will see the increase on your August bill.

Sky world = £2.50 a month increase

If you don't have sports, I think its a £1.50 a month increase.
Didnt go up last year though. The blurb on why its going up is just pure spin really. Still I get HD more channels than free sat or HD freeview, tbh most of my TV is now based around channels you cannot get anywhere else now as well.  :(