Justbeamit - simple file fransfer.

Started by kinmel, Jul 16, 2012, 07:06:55

Previous topic - Next topic

kinmel

A really simple way to send someone a file.

Go to http://justbeamit.com/ and upload the file.  Leave the justbeamit window open in your browser until the file has been collected by the recipient.

Copy the generated link for the file and send the link to the recipient.

When the recipient follows the link, the file is automatically downloaded.
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Simon

Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

That could be potentially useful, it's a matter of me remembering when I might need it.  :)
Steve
------------

Baz

how do you send the link to who ever? 

in an email  :whistle:

Lance

Quote from: Baz on Jul 16, 2012, 12:13:23
how do you send the link to who ever? 

in an email  :whistle:

Yep, so its perfect for those large files which exceed email limits...
Lance
_____

Baz

only down side I can see and just tried it with my son who is upstairs, a small 3.8MB file was downloading at about 70kb/s   so upload speeds will always be slower than download so why not use some other method and send a link.

and also if the person you sending too is not online at the time you could be hanging about ages till they are.

handy for the times you may be on facebook or similar and can say 'i'm sending you a file' 

Lance

Quote from: Baz on Jul 16, 2012, 12:32:27
so upload speeds will always be slower than download so why not use some other method and send a link.

I've got 20mb upload so that is quite a bit faster than many people's download. Dropbox is an alternative but I've never needed to use it myself.
Lance
_____

Simon

Why does the recipient need to also be online at the time of the upload? 
Simon.
--

gizmo71

Quote from: Simon on Jul 16, 2012, 16:36:11

Presumably they're trying to stop people using it for generalized (i.e. 'naughty') file sharing.
SimRacing.org.uk Director General | Team Shark Online Racing - on the podium since 1993
Up the Mariners!

Simon

Yeah, but there still has to be a 'holding' server, doesn't there, for the recipient to download from after following the sent link?  Maybe the files self destruct after 30 seconds!  ;D
Simon.
--

Baz

Quote from: Simon on Jul 16, 2012, 16:36:11

dont know    it says you have to leave your browser open until its downloaded. mat be it just snoops about your computer looking for the file. is this still beta   :dunno:

Bill

If file size is a problem for email, provided you've got a decent firewall then set up a local ftp (or web) server, open the relevant port(s) and send them the url.

When they've got the file, close the ports again.

I've done it that way several times- on a Mac it's easy, can't speak for Windows :P
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Lance

Quote from: Simon on Jul 16, 2012, 16:59:40
Yeah, but there still has to be a 'holding' server, doesn't there, for the recipient to download from after following the sent link?  Maybe the files self destruct after 30 seconds!  ;D

Apparently not...

Everything is streamed from source to destination through our service, and no file contents are recorded on our servers.

I think that is the attractiveness of the service.
Lance
_____

Simon

Now I've seen it, it makes sense.   :red:
Simon.
--