Are master socket faceplates really any good?

Started by klipp, Jul 19, 2012, 18:13:55

Previous topic - Next topic

klipp

Do they really make a difference?  Is there a particular make/model that is considered the best?

Thanks.  :)

Steve

They are a neat solution no more soap and rope filters required. The AdslNation faceplates are popular.

XTE 2005
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

klipp

Thanks.  Other than aesthetic reasons, does it offer speed/stability benefits compared with regular 'soap on a rope' filters?

Tacitus

I'm not a big fan of the active faceplates like the XTE, preferring the standard BT type made by Pressac.  Mine came from Clarity, but they are available elsewhere.  Clarity also supply white Cat 5e ethernet cable, which you might also find useful if you are running cabling round the skirting board.

Of the active types, an alternative to the XTE-2005 is the Austin-Taylor model available from Solwise.

An interesting comparison which you may find useful is here:   http://www.packetradio.co.uk/adsl/faceplate.htm

klipp

Gary

Quote from: Tacitus on Jul 19, 2012, 19:15:15
I'm not a big fan of the active faceplates like the XTE, preferring the standard BT type made by Pressac. 

Why? I have had mine for many years with no issue, just curious.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Tacitus

Quote from: Gary on Jul 19, 2012, 19:25:35
Why? I have had mine for many years with no issue, just curious.

Basically the active ones are more likely to fail (not necessarily *will* fail) than the passive ones which are simply a filter.  My views may be coloured by the fact that myself and a neighbour both had XTEs that failed.  They were replaced promptly and without question, but the Clarity/Pressac one I've had for ages still keeps on keeping on.  YMMV of course.

Performance wise there is little to choose between them.  FWIW if I was going for an active one I would try the Austin-Taylor which appears well made and may - repeat may - offer slightly better performance on a poorer line.

In the end I think it comes down to personal choice.  Certainly most people seem to have no problems with the XTE-2005.