IDNet - E-Mail Relaying

Started by Ardua, Jul 27, 2012, 12:22:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Ardua

I am trying to get my mind around e-mail relaying. At home, I can send e-mails from my IPhone or IPad without any issues with either ICloud or IDNet as my smtp server. As soon as I move away from my home location, I cannot send e-mails either by 3G or wifi. I get the error message 'The recipient "xxxxxx@idnet.com" was rejected by the server because it does not allow relaying. Is there a simple way to resolve this issue without changing my e-mail address and or/e-mail provider? Thanks.

Lance

It sounds like you are not using authentication on your SMTP server settings.

In the SMTP account settings on the iphone/ipad, smake sure you've entered your idnet email address in the user name box, email password in the password box, make sure use SSL is off, authentication is password and server port is 587.

Sending email should now work from anywhere. It would have been working from home previously because the SMTP server would have allowed access based on your IDNet ip address.
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Ardua

Quote from: Lance on Jul 27, 2012, 13:07:40
It sounds like you are not using authentication on your SMTP server settings.

In the SMTP account settings on the iphone/ipad, smake sure you've entered your idnet email address in the user name box, email password in the password box, make sure use SSL is off, authentication is password and server port is 587.

Sending email should now work from anywhere. It would have been working from home previously because the SMTP server would have allowed access based on your IDNet ip address.

Lance - thank you. I have done all of the above and I cannot download any mail. The 'checking mail' goes into a constant loop.Is the port number correct as my IMac is using port 995 with Pop3

Edit:

Belay my last pipe. I think that it may be working.

Ardua

Spoke too soon. I keep getting messages saying that 'mail.idnet.com' is not responding with Port 587 set.

Lance

Shouldn't make a difference, but for the SMTP settings does it work if you use smtp.idnet.com?

Changing the SMTP server settings wouldn't affect the incoming mail settings so make sure you're changing the settings in the right place!

Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Ardua

I have just deleted everything for the 'n'th time and added 2 e-mail accounts using my normal IDNet settings. The IPhone has verified the settings and everything seems fine. The only thing that I did differently this time was to set up the accounts with wifi turned off**. I can now send and receive on 3G and wifi with SSL 'ON' on port 995 which were the settings that I had before. I confess that I am a tad confused but that could be down to age!!!

** Advice from the O2 website. No mention of ports at all.