Second hand computer hardware dealers

Started by pctech, Aug 07, 2012, 19:23:25

Previous topic - Next topic

pctech

As I have mentioned I'm waiting to take delivery of a brand new PC so my thoughts are now turning to what to do with the current one in order to get back a little money although I know I'll probably not get more than £100 for it.

Ebay is too much of a hassle and after their fees have been deducted I probably needn't have bothered.

So my question is, does anyone know of any second hand computer hardware dealers whom you've had experience with.

The spec is as follows:

Cooler Master Praetorian brushed aluminium case (silver)
Asus P5N-E SLI motherboard with Nvidia 650i Media Control Processor supporting Intel LGA775 CPUs up to the 45 nm Core 2 quad.
Intel Pentium D 940 (Presler 65 nm) dual core CPU (each core running at 3.4 Ghz with 2MB L2 cache per core)
XFX Nvidia 7900 GTX graphics card with 512 MB dedicated video RAM
SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtrememusic sound card
2 GB DDR2 RAM running at 533 Mhz
Cooler Master Musketeer 2 analogue fan speed/temp gauge
Maxtor DiamondMax 250 GB Sata 3 GB/s hard drive
Sony AW-G170A DVD writer
Sony CRX-230EE CD writer
1,44MB floppy disk drive
card reader (8 in 1)
650W PSU

Included with system:
1 x Windows XP Pro SP2 OEM CD-ROM (32-bit)
1 x Windows Vista Ultimate upgrade pack
1 x Office 2003 DVD (Professional)
1 x Office 2007 Upgrade DVD

Technical Ben

No idea, sorry. The local stores sell second hand PCs, but I've no idea what they take in for trade. I'll probably cobble together a P4/Celeron D 2.8Ghz PC over the weekend (heat sink needs replacing on the GPU, and I need a spare HDD, other than that it's fine). I'd hope to get at least £60, nice to get more.  ;D

I might try ebay, but I've never sold anything on it. So it will probably be word of mouth for me. :(

No idea about the prices where you are, but the P4 3GHZ are going for £80 in the second hand store around here. If I get mine up and running over the weekend (should have some spares come in from the family. :D) I'll let you know how it goes when I try to flog it.  :P
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

pctech

OK cheers Ben

The Pentium D is effectively two P4s sandwiched together.

I used to sell my old mobiles via eBay but got really fed up with Nigerian fraudsters (or their bots) ambushing the auctions, I used to state clearly I would under no circumstances take payment via Western Union or use payment methods other than Paypal for the protection of both parties but that didn't stop them trying so then I'd have to wade through their 'help' pages to register a complaint, as I was working shifts at the time I was none too happy at having to spend my downtime in this way.

Steve

I think a second machine has it's uses even if it's only as a back up server.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

pctech

agreed but I have no space alas hence why it has to go.

Steve

Headless Server with Linux is always a possible option.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

FritzBox

Stick it in your local FreeAds for £120. Sold loads of them this way

It is a pretty good spec so £150 might be better

D-Dan

TBH, if I reach the stage where it's redundant to me, I tend to freecycle stuff. I read the pleas carefully to try to be sure that it's going to a genuine need, rather than a car-booter, and at the end I feel all warm and fuzzy 'cos I helped someone.
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's