Google paid only £6m in UK tax

Started by Simon, Aug 08, 2012, 21:48:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

Google is set to pay only £6.09 million in UK taxes despite raking in nearly £400m in revenue from its British operations.

The search giant, which employs 1,300 staff in the UK, angered MPs last year when it paid £935,000 tax on £2.39bn revenue, and is likely to face fresh criticism over this year's contributions.

The figures were initially reported by the The Telegraph as profit in the billions of pounds, but Google has corrected those figures, saying it will pay £6.09m in taxes this year on £395m in revenue.

The figure contrasts with its end-of year filing to the SEC, which said Google earned $4bn in revenues in the UK "based on the billing addresses of our customers". That differential isn't new: last year, an Evening Standard report showed Google had made more than £6bn in the UK, but claimed revenue of £526m and was taxed £8.2m.

Google promised more details about this year's taxes would follow in a filing due to be released "imminently".

Read more: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/376279/google-paid-only-6m-in-uk-tax
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Steve

No wonder the Irish needed a bail out. I guess it was ok a while ago when it attracted international businesses but now they've moved those jobs  elsewhere.
Steve
------------

Simon

I suppose, if it's legal, they can't be blamed for using tax laws to their advantage.
Simon.
--

Steve

Shame you or I can't do likewise though.
Steve
------------

Simon

Simon.
--

D-Dan

You can, provided you are prepared to pay the tax lawyers vast sums of money for the privelidge.

And I'm a "tax expert" professionally, but honestly, these guys can run rings around me, and I can run rings around the Revenue. What chance has the government got in all honesty?
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

zappaDPJ

My experience from running a fair sized limited company is that a good accountant is worth every penny paid. I believe it was the auditors that first suggested I should stop doing the books myself and employ an accountant. It turned out to be extremely wise advice, to such an extent, I felt the need to ask my accountant on a number of occasions 'is this even legal?'.

In my opinion the problem is not creative accounting, it's loopholes in the tax law.
zap
--------------------

Simon

I thought all the best accountants were in jail!  ;D
Simon.
--

pctech

As an employee who is subject to PAYE I do sometimes wish I was responsible for having to pay my tax as when I see it wasted it does rather annoy me I have to say.

Lance

Quote from: Simon on Aug 09, 2012, 08:05:11

I've got away with it so far! :hide:
Lance
_____

Simon

Simon.
--

Steve

The best still haven't been caught yet!
Steve
------------

Simon

Simon.
--

Technical Ben

I thought all the best accountants were in the Bahamas, Caribbean and other cruses having a holiday? ;)
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.