How configure Airport Extreme/Netgear DG834N combination?

Started by MacFamilyMan, Oct 05, 2012, 14:37:33

Previous topic - Next topic

MacFamilyMan

I'm trying in vain to set up my new Airport Extreme using my Netgear DG834N as a modem only.  The latter connects to a standard BT landline and my ISP (ZEN) uses PPPoA.  I know the Extreme is PPPoE but have read widely that this combination works - I just (!) need to know how!!!.
AE setup says to follow the on screen instructions - but none appear when using Airport Utility, just a set of tabbed screens with a multitude of fields that might as well be written in ancient Greek.

Can anyone provide simple instructions for this set up for a non-technical comms newbie.  Thank you.

Steve

:welc: :karma:  Not much time to reply but dg834N set to modem only mode - http://www.bencarpenter.co.uk/modem-mode-with-the-dg834n-beware-the-factory-defaults - maybe of use.

The AEBS is relatively easy to setup as PPPOE  Airport Utility. 6.1 >Edit >Internet > connect using PPPOE

Whether it works or not can't say as the DG834N has to act as a PPPOE to PPPOA bridge.(my memory suggests it didn't) I know the Draytek 120 modem works with the AEBS.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Ray

Ray
--------------------

MacFamilyMan

Steve thanks for that.

Back in August 2011 you replied in the topic "Good N Router/Access Point with Long Range" that "The only one I recommend that out performs an Airport Extreme and a Netgear DG834N..." so I guess they should work together.  Right now just setting up my AEBS with my ISP details is proving a headache so am really unable to test the combination.  In the Airport Utility for example it's not at all clear (to me anyway) what, for example, goes in the Domain Name field, nor where I select and enter my network WPA (or whatever) password. Another issue I have, which may be giving the AE problems is that the Netgear still appears to be transmitting a wireless signal despite being set to Modem only and Wireless Access to Always Off and restarting it.

I've ordered a TP-Link TD8817 to replace the modem (third of the price of the Vigor) and worth a punt as it too has got good reviews in this setup.

So, thank you for responding so quickly.  Any other ideas gratefully received :-)

Steve

That thread refers to the Billion 7800N which I used on adsl and currently still use on FTTC. In both cases my AEBS is used with 'router off' ie bridge mode and provides an additional wireless access point.

Which version of Airport Utility are you using? ie 6 or 5.6 as I'll try to direct you to the correct settings.
Steve
------------