White Cat 5

Started by sparky, Aug 14, 2012, 15:05:17

Previous topic - Next topic

sparky

I'm thinking that I might try and improve my internal phone extension that I have to run from the Master Socket,

Does anyone know where I can buy white Cat 5 or 6 cable from, preferably the screened variety?  Everywhere I look it seems to be grey or nothing.

gizmo71

What, like these? They do other lengths too.
SimRacing.org.uk Director General | Team Shark Online Racing - on the podium since 1993
Up the Mariners!

sparky

No, sorry.

I dont want patch leads, I just want plain cable.

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

pctech

Or there's Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/280-1527905-5846541?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=white+cat5e+cable+&x=0&y=0&sprefix=white+cat5%2Caps%2C171

Bought a couple of 1m white recently to link my freesat box and xbox to my access point, and it is white.

Tacitus

Quote from: sparky on Aug 14, 2012, 15:28:37
I dont want patch leads, I just want plain cable.

Clarity used to do white Cat 5 and would supply whatever length you need.  http://www.clarity.it  and :   http://www.clarity.it/xcart/product.php?productid=16192&cat=255&page=1

Polchraine

Quote from: sparky on Aug 14, 2012, 15:05:17
I'm thinking that I might try and improve my internal phone extension that I have to run from the Master Socket,

Does anyone know where I can buy white Cat 5 or 6 cable from, preferably the screened variety?  Everywhere I look it seems to be grey or nothing.

It is just voice telephony on the extension or is it carrying voice and DSL signals?    What sort of distance is involved?

If purely voice then Cat5e/6 is unlikely to offer any improvement over standard CW1308.     Even if there are DSL signals the improvement will be small when compared to CW1308 - if any as both are twisted pair.   Will screening help?    Again very minimal and for best effect it needs to be earthed at one end.
I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets.

sparky

Thanks guys.

QuoteIt is just voice telephony on the extension or is it carrying voice and DSL signals?    What sort of distance is involved?

Master Socket is in the hall way. There is nothing plugged into it apart from an extension cable, made up from CW1308 I think, it's either 4 or 6 pair. This runs from the Master Socket, through the wall to a junction box (I used to have another extension from here for my Sky box, but have ripped that out) the second piece of CW1308 then runs up, around and over the door frames into a study, where it is connected to a BT Style extension socket, total distance about 15 meteres. Into there I have plugged my soap on a rope, connecting a phone and my router.

I just thought that replacing the length with one piece of Cat5e might slightly improve any line noise I might have inside the house.

sparky

Tacitus

That's a great link for Clarity, Thanks, I might give that a try unless Polchraine comes back and tells me that I'll probably be wasting my time.  :)

Polchraine

CW1308 will normally only have 3 pairs.

One piece will certainly be tidier and get rid of an extra joint which can be a source of noise and susceptible to pick-up - but my suggestion would be to install a face plate filter/splitter at the master.    From there run the DSL signal on one pair and the telephony on a second pair to teh final location and install a modular face plate with telephony and data sockets.     

Try it and see ... can you get a full 24 hours of Router Stats Lite plots for SNR and sync along with the 300kHz attenuation levels.   DO it before and after and it will be interesting to compare.

Gary

Quote from: Polchraine on Aug 16, 2012, 22:11:44
CW1308 will normally only have 3 pairs.

One piece will certainly be tidier and get rid of an extra joint which can be a source of noise and susceptible to pick-up - but my suggestion would be to install a face plate filter/splitter at the master.    From there run the DSL signal on one pair and the telephony on a second pair to teh final location and install a modular face plate with telephony and data sockets.     

Try it and see ... can you get a full 24 hours of Router Stats Lite plots for SNR and sync along with the 300kHz attenuation levels.   DO it before and after and it will be interesting to compare.

Eactly what my BT friend did for me. Worked well no change in SNR at all, no interference issues either. He ran it up though the loft (bungalow) down though a cupboard for neatness and over a door, you can hardly see it.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

sparky

QuoteCW1308 will normally only have 3 pairs

Sorry, my mistake, I meant 4 wire or 6 wire, yes, just checked, it is 3 pairs.

Quotebut my suggestion would be to install a face plate filter/splitter at the master.    From there run the DSL signal on one pair and the telephony on a second pair to the final location and install a modular face plate with telephony and data sockets.

This sounds like a good idea. I'll look into that. Where do I get the modular face plate with telephony and data sockets from? I assume that will come with a BT Phone plug socket and an RJ11 ?? Maplin don't seem to have such a thing.

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Polchraine

Quote from: Gary on Aug 17, 2012, 07:16:37
Eactly what my BT friend did for me. Worked well no change in SNR at all, no interference issues either. He ran it up though the loft (bungalow) down though a cupboard for neatness and over a door, you can hardly see it.

I will add that the only non-standard part of my installation here is the patch lead from socket to modem - I use a 2 pair Cat5e in terminated with RJ14 (6p4c) connectors.     Most leads are flat untwisted and ADSL originally and now VDSL, I have a small consistent improvement in SNR with the Cat5e cable.   I also have a CW1308 based lead and that performs much the same as the Cat5e.

Polchraine

Quote from: sparky on Aug 17, 2012, 09:26:27
Maplin don't seem to have such a thing.

Don't use Maplin!       Over priced ... and in my experience not always the best quality.

You need one that has an A&B pair IDC and a 2,3,5 IDC.

sparky

OK. Looks like Clarity have it all. I can use a modular faceplate with an RJ11 Module and a BT IDC module. White Cat5e cable run back to a Filtered faceplate for the master socket.

Looks like a small project is about to get under way.

Many Thanks guys.

Polchraine

Quote from: sparky on Aug 17, 2012, 13:15:19
OK. Looks like Clarity have it all. I can use a modular faceplate with an RJ11 Module and a BT IDC module. White Cat5e cable run back to a Filtered faceplate for the master socket.

Many Thanks guys.

Nice and easy - don't forget to get some stats from before and after - same time and day of the week too!   

Make sure your chosen run does not go too near the fridge/freezer, TV, heating pump ... or runs for any distance parallel to power cables.

Polchraine

Quote from: sparky on Aug 17, 2012, 13:15:19

Many Thanks guys.

Any update?