Homeplug upgrade

Started by gizmo71, Aug 17, 2012, 14:11:54

Previous topic - Next topic

gizmo71

I spent most of Tuesday crawling into the nooks and crannies of my house, replacing my existing 200MBPS homeplugs with new-fangled ZyXEL 500MBPS ones, and all the Cat5 patch cables with Cat5e, and the results - which I half expected to be virtually no change - are really good. :D Gone from about 7 megabytes per second transfers speeds in Windows to nearly 20, really pleased with that. At some point I'm going to try running a backup over the network (which is my ultimate aim) instead of to a local SATA drive bay and see if it's fast enough to use as a matter of normality.
SimRacing.org.uk Director General | Team Shark Online Racing - on the podium since 1993
Up the Mariners!

Rik

Pop round and do mine would you, Giz? ;D
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

I've got a couple of 1Gb/s homeplugs to an upstairs Windows machine they do seem to cope with FTTC at full speed where as the 200mbps didn't.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Polchraine

Quote from: gizmo71 on Aug 17, 2012, 14:11:54
I spent most of Tuesday crawling into the nooks and crannies of my house, replacing my existing 200MBPS homeplugs with new-fangled ZyXEL 500MBPS ones, and all the Cat5 patch cables with Cat5e, and the results - which I half expected to be virtually no change - are really good. :D Gone from about 7 megabytes per second transfers speeds in Windows to nearly 20, really pleased with that. At some point I'm going to try running a backup over the network (which is my ultimate aim) instead of to a local SATA drive bay and see if it's fast enough to use as a matter of normality.

500 MBPS >>>> or 4 Gigabits per second!   

As for Cat5e giving 20 MBps 0r around 160 Mbps (the normal way to express data rates) - that is low.    In a domestic environment you shoud be seeing a full Gigabit per second if the devices can handle it.   I can transfer at 700 to 800 Mbps which is about the best the drives can handle.

I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets.