yes or no

Started by Baz, Aug 17, 2012, 19:47:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Baz

Simon

Most parcels from Amazon are usually left on my doorstep anyway.  It wouldn't be so convenient if they were left elsewhere. 
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

kinmel

Our local newsagent operates Collect+, I have never had anything delivered to him for collection, but I have used him to return items to a couple of suppliers.

Beats queueing at the Post Office
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Baz

Quote from: Simon on Aug 17, 2012, 19:51:26
Most parcels from Amazon are usually left on my doorstep anyway.  It wouldn't be so convenient if they were left elsewhere. 

that surprises me Simon, not many companies will do that now.I think only a couple do it here and then with a neighbour

pctech

Will ask the chap at my local shop, he's a nice guy but a very shrewd businessman so he'd probably want a pound so maybe not.

john

I saw the Amazon boxes at my local Co-op yesterday and thought it was a really good idea. Whilst some couriers leave packages with neighbours or in the porch, Royalo Mail invariably do not and it is really inconvenient to go into town and queue for ages to collect from their depo.

mervl

I have found that most couriers and Royal Mail/Parcelforce can leave packages/parcels in a reasonably safe place on the premises (usually my porch). However, the standard conditions of carriage require a signature, so either the retailer or the customer has to take the risk - some suppliers give you the option, but as most operate on extremely narrow margins, I can see why they can't take the risk. Of course I have to be reasonable which means if something goes missing (it hasn't so far) I've probably had it; and accept that risk - but then I'm in a minority of one! (as usual,  >:D). Some couriers or suppliers text before or upon delivery, which is good, particularly when (in my experience) they're accurate and prompt (before anyone tells me I suppose I must be the exception rather than the rule - again, perhaps the benefit of not having others' vast experience and wealth of knowledge!!).

RM/Parcelforce here now routinely return stuff that can't get the necessary sig to the local PO shop rather than the depot.

Baz

yeah just thinking about the Amazon thing, most items from them are delivered by royal mail any way so if you are not in they will take it back to their depot  :D :D

wonder how its  going to work.

Steve

I had to have a little word with Amazon yesterday as RM failed to deliver a guaranteed next day, they've given me an extra month free on Prime as a result. However the parcel that arrives now on Monday will probably be carded.  :shake:  The collect + looks ok as I've got one not too far away.
Steve
------------

Rik

I've garnered a few free months, mainly through YODL.
Rik
--------------------

nowster

It's usually Citylink that sits the extra day on a parcel from Amazon. Occasionally Amazon send out Prime items by Royal Mail First Class, and they get delayed. I think I've had three extra months added to my Prime account this year due to postal delays.

armadillo

When Amazon actually do use RM, I prefer it because the RM depot is only a mile away. But Amazon do not allow you to choose a carrier so I often get a courier and then need to rearrange delivery if I am out or if the courier does the trick of waiting a half a second and then hurtling down the drive into a running vehicle and making a quick escape.

I would be happy to have the item delivered to the local PO and I would be prepared to pay extra for this. Prime is a complete waste because you still cannot choose the carrier. I always use free super saver, which is no better or worse than any other method Amazon offer except that it is free.

Simon

Quote from: armadillo on Aug 19, 2012, 18:56:50
Prime is a complete waste because you still cannot choose the carrier. I always use free super saver, which is no better or worse than any other method Amazon offer except that it is free.

I've not tried Prime but from what I've heard, I agree with you.  It's all very well getting a free extention on a service, but if the service is failing, that's not a lot of help.  I've ordered stuff using the free delivery option on a Sunday night, and had it Tuesday morning.  I can't complain about that. 
Simon.
--

Baz

on the subject of Amazon is any one getting a different front page on their site.Only happens a few times for me then its back to the usual one

Simon

Simon.
--

Rik

Same here, but intermittently. I guess they're testing a new site.
Rik
--------------------